Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Singltrackworld has a pic of this fork and states that it is a fatfork with 4 sets of waterbottle mounts. Didnt see anything about it here so heres the pic:

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Yeah, I saw that. It was told to me that it hasn't been decided whether it will go through or not, and Salsa guys were a bit reluctant for anyone to take photos of it. Thus the reason I didn't and stayed quiet. But now that the cat is outta the bag.........

The Salsa crew was pretty stoked about it. Water bottle bosses just like the Fargo fork, sus corrected so you can run a 29"er tire, and 135mm spaced.

Funny they would have a fork without a bike to run it on........don't you think? ;) :D

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
1spd1way said:
Is this for a 29er fat bike..or a fork for a Pugs?
It would likely jack the front of a Pugs up a shade, but my thinking is that Salsa is thinking 29"er fat bike, or just letting imaginations run that way. ;)

By the way, I don't have a clue as to what is going on, but I know who was behind the project and that gives me ideas as to where this could be going. Purely speculation on my part.

·
Registered
161 Posts
when I spoke to the salsa people at eurobike they told me the would not show stuff that they did not know when they could ship. Didn't want to be another company that takes orders and then let their customers wait 6 month or so to get their stuff. Said that they would show new products early next year......
did not see any fat salsa fork at eurobike so I did not think in the direction of a fatbike and naturally did not asked about it.

·
Bike Fiend
146 Posts
Both the Fargo and the Pug are 'adventure' bikes... I reckon this is simply a fat front option for the Fargo so it can run a LM and Endo/Larry up front without geometry changes. Fat Front Fargo would be cool.

[edit]:
Hmmmm. It's 135mm spaced, but it doesn't look offset...

I'm guessing Salsa made it for running wider front hubs on your 29er (or fat bike)... a wider front hub = a stronger 29er front wheel.

·
Administrator
10,351 Posts
Would be nice if it was a suspension corrected version for economical fat front swapage on standard bikes, not that there is anything wrong with a fargo version. Any way that is what I would like thanks.

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
I guess the logical assumption is that this is for a fat front conversion. I hope it's about the same length as the average 29er fork, cuz there are lots of people who would love the option of a longer fat fork, me included.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
My bet is front disc spacing. Both Phil [$$$] and Paul [$$] make hubs for this application. Ben at Milltown is all about this set up. Certainly is intriguing.

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
It is set as a 468mm sus-corrected fork with 45mm or rake for REAR disc spacing. Availability of hubs and cost plus the number of customers with Pugs wheels already were stated as reasons for that. Cool fork, I wish a WHUB would fit though.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
With those specs it is pretty clearly designed for a fat front. It would steer a bit quick as a true snow bike with the 45mm offset.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Well, 43mm matches the Pugsley. I guess 2mm isn't going to be too noticeable, but still. The A-to-C says fat front too. It would be a popular fork among the custom fatbike crowd that gets the 165mm rear frames.

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
Yeah, I honestly don't remember. It's probably the 43, as that matches a lot more Salsa and Surly products. As Guitar Ted said, I was told that it was a preproduction proto and that specs may change even if it is going to be produced. In any case, it is a cool product that I hope will be produced. The fact that I have an old non offset drilled Large Marge has nothing to do with that of course ;)

·
Bike Fiend
146 Posts
benwitt11 said:
In any case, it is a cool product that I hope will be produced. The fact that I have an old non offset drilled Large Marge has nothing to do with that of course ;)
So this prototype fork is 135mm rear spaced, but it doesn't have the 17.5mm offset?

On a side note, I wonder if a Large Marge rear wheel with a fat DH tire would fit in a Fargo frame...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts