·
Banned
19,198 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was planning on riding it =)
But its going to be mixed x-cross, forest & pavement trails. Bit of everything i guess.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've always wanted a El Mariachi, like bad. Dunno if I'll ever own one, but it's on the top five list. Can't say the same about the Fantom.
That said, if you're looking for a lightweight racer, the Moto is a pretty good deal.
Does that help? ;)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What makes Salsa better though?
It's heavier and has lower grade drive-train.
There is also 2013 MB team edition on bikes direct that has XT components.
I'm looking for some valid points why is one better than another.
Thanks guys.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
I have ridden the El Mar, and I would say, especially because it costs so much less, definitely buy it.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Can run SS, has more brazeons for racks and such, more support for bikepacking, local warranty support (if you have a dealer near by), etc.

And, ok, I'll say it--they're just a cooler company.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Can run SS, has more brazeons for racks and such, more support for bikepacking, local warranty support (if you have a dealer near by), etc.

And, ok, I'll say it--they're just a cooler company.

Much cooler.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Are you comfortable assembling a bike on your own? Do you have the necessary tools? If not add about $100 to $200 to the price of the Motobecane because that's what your LBS is probably gonna charge to build it up for you.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Are you comfortable assembling a bike on your own? Do you have the necessary tools? If not add about $100 to $200 to the price of the Motobecane because that's what your LBS is probably gonna charge to build it up for you.
Also, if there are any warranty issues, you are expected to pay for shipping. That's not cheap.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I had the earlier version of the Moto Ti frame, and it was a nice bike. Ti and a nice fork for $200 more than steel? Unless you love your LBS, why not? This coming from a steel fan, Salsa fan, and single speed fan... but I would go with the Moto.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys, you aren't making this any easier for me, ha.
I'm trying to understand how Salsa is a "cooler" company than MB?
I don't want to judge by their graphics and marketing, where, of corse, salsa wins a few points.
But you also can just de-label the MB.

So the style points go to salsa,
Technical points, including weight to MB.

I can understand supporting local LBS as well. But that can be subjective.
I'm more looking for a great deal / great bike type of quality, which they both sort of represent.

Which one is a Mac, and which one is a PC?

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Aside from the better versatility, the Salsa also has great resale value in case you decide to change bikes and that's a common aliment here.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Interesting analogy: I would say Salsa is the Mac (cooler, less spec for the dollar), while the Moto is the PC (more generic, better value).

Guys, you aren't making this any easier for me, ha.
I'm trying to understand how Salsa is a "cooler" company than MB?
I don't want to judge by their graphics and marketing, where, of corse, salsa wins a few points.
But you also can just de-label the MB.

So the style points go to salsa,
Technical points, including weight to MB.

I can understand supporting local LBS as well. But that can be subjective.
I'm more looking for a great deal / great bike type of quality, which they both sort of represent.

Which one is a Mac, and which one is a PC?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts