Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
iceaxe said:
Has the Salsa Dos Niner frame changed much in the few years?
Sorry about that.:cool:

Tubing has changed a bit to remove how flexy the first two versions were and some areas of the frame have been beefed up in hopes of preventing this:

Are you looking at buying the latest incarnation (raw finish)?

I rode the 2nd generation (dark green Dos Niner) for 4 seasons and broke it on a training ride at the start of this season. I loved that bike:

The crash replacement is even better, but since it lacks as much "flex" as the older version I had - I added some via the seatpost.

BB

·
Saving lives with knives.
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a used older (green version) at a really good deal. I currently ride a 26" softail and really want to get my hands on a 29". So basically the durability of the old version is in serious question...

·
Registered
527 Posts
ive got the first gen, 2006, light green one. Ive beat the crap out if it and its fine. Im not worried about it, but thats not to say that it wont break tomorrow. Who knows....

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
iceaxe said:
I found a used older (green version) at a really good deal. I currently ride a 26" softail and really want to get my hands on a 29". So basically the durability of the old version is in serious question...
You won't be under warranty buying used, so if it does break the cost of replacement will be higher than if buying a new Dos Niner frame from the get go.

That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the used Dos you have found, but they have since beefed up the tubing as well as added some gussets making for beneficial improvements. Perhaps my 2006 frame was an "average" lifespan lasting 4 full seasons of XC racing/training and finally breaking at the beginning of the 5th season. Not a bad lifespan for a lightweight XC frame when all is said and done.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=473112

BB

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,924 Posts
Also its a pivotless design relying on flexing a metal that has no defineable fatigue limit. Unlike titanium and steel and carbon, where if you keep the load below a known point you can get effectively unlimited flex cycles without a fatigue failure, using an aluminium alloy (which scandium tubing is) you're choosing at the design stage to guarantee how its going to fail most of the time. I bought mine knowing that and fully expect it to crack eventually along the chainstay.

·
Squishy Fishy
234 Posts
I love mine. 2009 model. Build reliable and light at 24.9 lbs. The design is simple and effective but you need to dial in the shock to get the most out of it. (5 psi for me) No fussing with pivots,bearings, mud isn't an issue. Its the kind of bike you just ride and ride and ride.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Thanks....

BruceBrown said:
Sorry about that.:cool:

Tubing has changed a bit to remove how flexy the first two versions were and some areas of the frame have been beefed up in hopes of preventing this:

Are you looking at buying the latest incarnation (raw finish)?

I rode the 2nd generation (dark green Dos Niner) for 4 seasons and broke it on a training ride at the start of this season. I loved that bike:

The crash replacement is even better, but since it lacks as much "flex" as the older version I had - I added some via the seatpost.

BB
Looks to me like you are a long time Dos owner and probably can give me some more of that 2 cents...

I moved and now live in an area where most of my riding really does not demand a FS and am in the market for a new frame. Compared to a HT like a Mamsita or even a steel frame, is the bit of travel you get from the Dos noticeable enough to warrant choosing that over a HT? (In your opinion of course.)

Thanks.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Miker J said:
Looks to me like you are a long time Dos owner and probably can give me some more of that 2 cents...

I moved and now live in an area where most of my riding really does not demand a FS and am in the market for a new frame. Compared to a HT like a Mamsita or even a steel frame, is the bit of travel you get from the Dos noticeable enough to warrant choosing that over a HT? (In your opinion of course.)

Thanks.
It rides just like a HT and you have to ride it just like one. However, the 1" of travel takes the edge off that many of us enjoy when compared to riding a frame that doesn't have that 1" of rear travel. Is it warranted? I would say "yes", but that's for me. Ride some nice cushion tires like the Race King 2.2's, Raven 2.2's, Racing Ralph 2.4/2.25 combo or some such larger volume tires tubeless at nice low pressures and it is a very forgiving bike.

You could do the same on a HT frame and toss a Thudbuster ST on there.

BB

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
My two cents: Ti soft tail vs. steel hardtail (w/Ti post) = Huge difference in comfort. No comparison in my book. Just like Bruce said, a soft tail rides just like a hard tail up until the point you hit a bump, etc.

Miker J said:

Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts