Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working towards building my first 29'er, (I got over the chainstay thing, Shiggy:D ) and I need some advise on rims. The bike will be a 29" ridgid ss, though in the future it may grow a front shock and/or gears. I won't be doing any real drops on it, maybe1 foot or 2 feet at the max (if that) I am 200 lbs with gear, and the trails are rocky, rooty singletrack. Pretty much xc.

The shop that builds my wheels suggested the Salsa Delgato 29" rim and he has built with them quite a lot. I checked the specs and it is very wide (29mm) but only ~500 grams. This seems awefully light, but I am not a 29'er expert. Will I be OK with this rim? I like the idea of wide for footprint purposes, and light for the fact that this is a strictly xc bike, but is this wide and this light asking for trouble?

Should I be looking at something else as well? I would like disc specific, just because they look nice and this is the first bike that I actually care what it looks like.:)

Thanks for any input.

Kapusta

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
if you have a good wheelbuilder

they should be fine,I have been on mine for almost a year.Are you building a SS wheel or a geared with a SS conversion?
SS will be a little stronger.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KgB said:
they should be fine,I have been on mine for almost a year.Are you building a SS wheel or a geared with a SS conversion?
SS will be a little stronger.
I'm going geared with a ss conversion. I want the option to go geared with these wheels down the road, plus I had an new Hugi 340 disc hub laying around (a present from DT for my 240 exploding)

G

·
for light XC they will be fine.

if you do jumps and such you will quickly find that the delgados are soft and insufficient.

i started out with delgados on my Niner but am a bit too rough for them. i switched to a Rhino Lite on the rear, i have one for the front but have not needed to switch it yet.

my suggestion would be to go with a beefier rim as it will probably last longer.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
You'll be fine.

kapusta said:
I am 200 lbs with gear, and the trails are rocky, rooty singletrack. Pretty much xc.
Sounds similar to the terrain that I'm riding and I've not had any trouble with the pair that I have. Save for the slight creaking issue that went away with some superglue at the rim joint. I'm 217 pounds without any gear on right now...without anything on at all, actually!:eek:

·
Basura Blanca
1,796 Posts
I've used both the Delgado Disc and the WTB Speed Disc 29er (27mm wide and 570g, per WTB) on the rear of my 29er HT, and I've found the WTB rim to require much less truing. Both wheels were built buy competent builders that are highly regarded here on MTBR. I'm weighing 195# sans gear. My $.02,
- Joe

·
Registered
750 Posts
I am 215 lbs., sounds like we have the same riding style, and I replaced my Alex TD17s with the Salsa's, and I must say they are lighter wider and more importantly less flexy (read stronger) than the Alex.
But, they also cost over three times as much!
I am very happy with them, will use them for my spare set of wheels.
-Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts