Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a thread on here the other week about the Delgado disc rim creaking. How many of you have had a problem with this and has anyone found a cure for it?
I e mailed Salsa but got no reply.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had an annoying creak going on but I think it was the tire bead, if thats possible. Front tire went flat after several days of annoying creaks that I had isolated to the wheels as opposed to the seat post or bb or dozen other candidates for random creaking. Changed the tube out and lightly lubed the tire bead with a little silicon spray before reseating on the rim. Haven't had the creak come back after several days or riding. Was a Exi on a Delgado 29er disc. Was running my normal 30 PSI or so.

G

·
i have read a few reports of a rattling noise due to the metal insert at the joint moving. the delgado discs can build decent wheels, but if you are hard on wheels (like i am) you probably need to check out the sturdier stuff. i have a set of Rhino Lites on the way to try out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
36 or 32 hole??

Setup is 36h DD Exi with 24-26 lbs.
I know the idea is that the 36h rims seem to be the problematic ones.
I bought mine from Universal Cycles.
I have suspected the bead as a culprit also, but moving the bead did not change the location of the 'ting'.
I will try the silicon trick, but in 15 years of riding I have NEVER had this type of issue (on 26" MTB anyway).
I like the width and weight of the rim, but it appears to dislike staying true.
That may be a comment on my style/skill, I don't know.

As a data point, I do have 28h rims on a 26" Bontrager wheelset that are far better at taking abuse (on my Sugar 2+) FWIW.

my .02
C.

Curtezyflush said:
I had an annoying creak going on but I think it was the tire bead, if thats possible. Front tire went flat after several days of annoying creaks that I had isolated to the wheels as opposed to the seat post or bb or dozen other candidates for random creaking. Changed the tube out and lightly lubed the tire bead with a little silicon spray before reseating on the rim. Haven't had the creak come back after several days or riding. Was a Exi on a Delgado 29er disc. Was running my normal 30 PSI or so.

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
SSSHhhhhhh

No noises coming from my Delgado's, just the blinding reflection of the sun off the high polished silver finish. Ooh the humanity...

PS, I have Ryno Lites on my tandem - 48 spokes each. Satan could run Dual slalom in he11 on those suckers..... Just try to break them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
my front one makes noise

it's not really a creak, but it's a noise... I think it's the aforementioned little piece of metal at the rim's seam, because I can reliably make it "pop" when I position the seam at 6 o'clock and push down on it from 12 o'clock. It's annoying, but not so much that I'm willing to take the rim strip off and shoot silicone or glue up in there... which is usually what did the trick on my pinned 26" rims from years past.

·
Registered
15 Posts
36 Hole Delgado Discs

I have had no creaks or rattles coming from my 36 hole Delgado Discs. I have had them since the first of August.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
singlespeedstu said:
I was reading a thread on here the other week about the Delgado disc rim creaking. How many of you have had a problem with this and has anyone found a cure for it?
I e mailed Salsa but got no reply.
2 here, no noise.

Monte

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Buddy of mine complained about his 36h's from the start. Creaking.
His opinion : for their price, they ought to be welded, really. And I somewhat agree, certain French-made rims cost less and are welded. Seem to be fine rims too.

·
I'm disrespectful to dirt
479 Posts
I have two 32H Delgado rims.

The rear started quietly clicking/creaking in the middle of my 3rd ride on the rims, and has gotten much louder over the past few rides. I've put up with the noise, but on last weekend's ride I got really sick of the 20X I had to answer the question, 'what the heck is that sound!?"

And I had a fun discovery the last ride too - if I weight up the front wheel, it clicks now.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
I was ordering some wheels last week and asked about the Delgados. The builder knew exactly of the problem. I wonder if this has been a recent issue/batch problem. Jeff's rims are within 3 months new.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The facts and we need your help

Ok folks, work with me a little bit here. I need your help.

A few topics on the Delgado Disc rims have come up in the last month. To the best of my knowledge, the topics are related two complaints/issues. Another manufacturer shared the dreamride build quality issue blog and this brought up the creaking/noise issue.

Each time there is a post, we get a bunch of calls.

I want to share with you some information. For those of you that have followed my participation on this board, I hope you know I am being honest and truthfull.

This is a sleeved rim and may have some visual issues at the seams. This is common with sleeved rims. Remember in the old days before machined sidewalls when canti brake pads would always catch or click at the seam? Same issue. That's not saying it is right, but when we pulled inventory and did a visual check they were within spec. If you are not a wheelbuilder yourself, you should expect some variance at the seam. Wheelbuilders that have built a bunch of wheels should be able to say what is good and what is not.

Regarding the click or noise. This is a new issue that we are researching. We need your help in identifying the issue. There are many variables to consider and many have already been discussed here. Tire. Bead. Hole drilling. Tire pressure. Spoke tension. Use. Conditions. Lots can be happening here.

Regarding the claimed build quality issue. Good builders know. If you are a skilled wheel builder and are having issues building any of our rims, please call Salsa direct if you are having issues. No real and repeatable issue has surfaced. Do we want to improve. Yep. FWIW, we have a wheel building facility in the same building and they have built 1000 of these wheels to date. They are picky and we work with them daily.

I am asking you that if you are one of the folks that has a noise that appears to be coming from the rim joint, please contact Salsa directly so we can ask you questions and look for patterns. It's the only way we can improve our products.

In the end, I want you to know this is not a widespread problem. In fact, compared to what we've sold and how many actual warranty claims we've had, it is very, very, very small number. Again, not saying it is right because we all know all warranties don't get claimed, just sharing the facts.

I also want you to know it is our intent to do what is right. It may not always be easy, but we want to do the right things. Please contact us so that we can continually improve and make better product.

We can be reached at 877 Moto Ace. I've spoken to the staff today about the situation.

Jason

·
Registered
878 Posts
whellset comparisons- delagodos and others?

i am considering delgado.king build. does anyone know where to find good 29er wheelset reviews here? is there a thread already out there on this one?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts