Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw one last night and really caught my eye, but didn't know which model it was. Coincidentally, I someone mentioned the model in the Salsa forum here. Problem is the original Deadwood is no more, which makes the 2016 model hard to find. The new models are now a full suspension bike and not really a plus tire size drop bar bike. So I am looking to see what my options are plus size tire drop bar bikes that can support 3in+ tires that's good for biking packing. I know there is the Cuthroat and Fargo, but those are more MTB with drop bars and honestly a bit out of my price range since they come are titanium and carbon fiber models respectively. Would like to start out with a frame so I can slowly build it up. I also would prefer disc brake support. Thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fargo comes in a steel frame/carbon fork option.

I don't think you're going to find many options that take 3"+ tires and are more road bike like in geometry. Only one I can think of is the Velo Orange Piolet at 27.5x3 for medium and larger, and is a little steeper than Fargo. There are a few 27.5x2.4ish, like the Surly Midnight Special, that are still road-ish with big-ish tires

You can scroll through these and look at the max tire sizes to get a start.

https://bikepacking.com/index/650b-gravel-bikes/

https://bikepacking.com/index/drop-bar-mountain-bikes-29er/

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fargo comes in a steel frame/carbon fork option.

I don't think you're going to find many options that take 3"+ tires and are more road bike like in geometry. Only one I can think of is the Velo Orange Piolet at 27.5x3 for medium and larger, and is a little steeper than Fargo. There are a few 27.5x2.4ish, like the Surly Midnight Special, that are still road-ish with big-ish tires

You can scroll through these and look at the max tire sizes to get a start.

https://bikepacking.com/index/650b-gravel-bikes/

https://bikepacking.com/index/drop-bar-mountain-bikes-29er/
Fargo for the frame only would cost more than I prefer to spend, or else it is close to perfect. Same with the Cutthroat. I will take a look Velo and those in the link. Thank you.

I looked at the 650 list and I have the Soma Wolverine I am slowly building and the others seems like a lateral move.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kona LTD looks to be another option and I've seen frames in the used market for a fair price. Still a tad small on the tire side, but bigger than what I am currently going to make. Now the Bearclaw Beaux looks amazing, but sadly that price is a bit out of reach for me and no frame only option.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Another option might be the Framed Marquette. They sell a complete drop bar version with a Lauf fork, so apparently they think the frame will work with drop bars, but also a frame only option that you could could pair up with a rigid fork of appropriate length.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would the Surly Bridge Club or ECR(both w/drop bar setups) be a competitor to the original Deadwood/Fargo? I am seeing frame only prices that seem reasonable-ish that it won't cost a lot, like some of the other models I looked at.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just built up a Banshee Paradox V3 with carbon 29+ fork and off-road drop bars. The frame is designed as a slack high stack and long reach playful ripper, but with a 500/51 rigid fork the actual head tube angle is 67* and seat tube angle is 74*. 29+ all day on the front using your choice of forks (just picked up a RS Pike RCT3 29/27.5+ fork to mix it up). Rear is designed for 29x2.6 with plenty of clearance, but it appears many 2.8’s would fit as well without issue. Reviews state it is optimized for compliance and “rides soft” even though it is made of custom 7005 T6 hydroformed alloy (note frame designers rear triangle mounts at the B.B. and seattube). Wonderful tight anti-flex response in corners and cranking on the pedals. Who would have thought an alloy frame with modern geo could check off so many boxes?

Only thing left for me to do is double wrap the drop bars today to get out there on it. Believe it or not, I think it is worth a look for a true multifunction bike with Surly ET 2.5 or Vittoria Mezcal 2.6 in 29er form. The frame is designed for 27.5x2.8 (not quite plus). The low stand over is sweet as well; dropper compatible.

Cheers!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Can it also accept drop bars too?
I don't see why not. You may want to check the geometry just to be sure but, starting with a frame you can build the way you want.

Just remembered that the Marin Pine Mountain 1 is another 27.5x2.8 bike that's very interesting for bike packing, for a very good price. But you'll need to replace the bars and brake/shifting levers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't see any drop bar Timberjack, but like the price better than the Cutthroat and Fargo. The Marin Pine Mountain is also price fair too. Couldn't see with a quick google search if it can accept drop bars, but did find a review with the Jones bar installed and that looks interesting.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't see any drop bar Timberjack, but like the price better than the Cutthroat and Fargo. The Marin Pine Mountain is also price fair too. Couldn't see with a quick google search if it can accept drop bars, but did find a review with the Jones bar installed and that looks interesting.
For putting drop bars, the only thing you need is a compatible stem. That will lead to a compatible fork. That has been standard(s) for quite a while. So most of the modern bikes would accept drop bars. You'll also need to replace brake/shifting levers, but I assume you knew that when you considered starting from a frame and build.

Now if drop bars will be a good option for that bike, is a completely different problem, that has to do with geometry of the bike, and purpose of the same. This problem can be somewhat mitigated by a proper stem bar (length, elevation and angle).

All in all, I think you'll be better served with a Marin PM1+drop bars than building from scratch.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Marin does look interesting, i'll have to see if I can find it frame only as I am seeing the bike itself going for around $700. I started watching videos of the Jones SWB bike and that has me tempted, but the price gave me a bit of a pause. So, I wonder if the PM1 would be similar in terms of rear end handling

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.