Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 295 Posts

·
All fat, all the time.
10,712 Posts
I think we're past that point now....

full squish fat bike? so not really necessary in snow or sand..

on the trail, will the fat tires provide meaningful benefit over a traditional tyred FS bike?
Sweetness, bit surprised they didn't go for more tire clearance, wonder if they are offering frame-only?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think its great news they designed the bike around 4" tires. Their intended purpose looks to be more all purpose trail (off trail?) than powder (as with the other front suspension bikes released today). This tells me a major fatbike manufacturer is staying committed to 170/7mm rear spacing so they'll keep making hubs that size and more 4" tires. My new mukluk is not obsolete!

·
Registered
15,003 Posts
full squish fat bike? so not really necessary in snow or sand..

on the trail, will the fat tires provide meaningful benefit over a traditional tyred FS bike?
On packed dirt/rock trails I typically ride at home and on my travels to Sedona/Moab I'd say no.

I can see it being useful for folks who encounter a bunch of varied conditions like soft sand....loose gravel and then proper techy MTBing.

and for folks that want to ride a fat bike just because.

A big chunk of the "bike thing" is not about need or optimization it's about being stoked about something.

With a FS fatty I could ride a bunch of terrain on a fatbike that in the past I would have been trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Like a lot of bike innovations time will tell what works and what doesn't. There may be a role for the FS fatty we haven't really thought of yet.

I'm glad to see the FS fatty come to realization in a production package from a major brand. :thumbsup:

Let 'em roll and let's see what happens...:)

1 - 20 of 295 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.