Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Ive noticed some good deals on various websites this time of year on Salsa bikes. It fits in well to my budget because I live in Australia. According to website pricing I can land a Casseroll SS complete bike here for under $1,000. That works aout well because anything over $1,000 and I have to pay an extra 15% in fees ! Ouch !

So what I was thinking was to grab hold of a SS Casseroll, then set it up as a touring bike for my trip through out Europe later this year. I have read that this bike probably isnt ideal as a loaded up touring bike. I was actually leaning towards a Cross Check. But im not going to be hauling an overly heavy load. I plan to travel reasonably light. Possibly 20kg max if i can help it. The lighter weight of the Casseroll as opposed to the CC would also be in my favor as i can then have room to pack more goodies on the plane trip.

I also plan on adapting a Rohloff hub. This will also add extra weight, which is another good reason to go for a lighter frame of the Salsa rather than the Surly.

Im also aware that the Casseroll has 130mm rear spacing and the Rohloff requires 135mm. But ive been informed that it being a steel frame means a LBS with the right equipment can modify the rear spacing to suit.

Afterall thats said and done, if i go this way, I could possibly save myself a good $1,000 over the Surly. Buying a cross check frame and building it up would cost a bit. Buying a complete Cross check bike would mean removing the already assembled derailer set up (cost of approximately $1,800 Australian). Buying the Casseroll SS would cost me approximately $800. So the savings are there.

The other advantage would be the fact that I can use the Casseroll 'unloaded' back in OZ when not touring which would probably work better than having a Surly as they apparently have a nicer lighter ride.

What do you think peoples ? Is this a good idea ? Should I just go with a Cross Check ? Something else ?

Oh, I forgot to mention. Ive flirted with the idea of S+S couplers. Yes I know about the Travellers check. But they are hard to source here in OZ. They are also pricy. And they would go over the $1,000 import threshold. Im going to get a quote for S+S couplers from a LBS to have the possibly fitted, If i can afford it that is. Im alsp curious if the S+S couplers would work on a SS Casseroll. Any suggestions ?

Any advice much appreciated.

·
That’s no moon.
825 Posts
Bumping this to see what you ended up doing, Punchy.

Also, does anyone know the load limit on a Casseroll without flexing the heck out of it? Could you carry enough for a weekend camping trip (tent, bag, extra clothes, food) for 2-3 days?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G'day Cackalacky.

Well, its been a while since i posted this. Anyways, I actually ended up going with a Travellers Check frame. I also Purchased the Rohloff as well as a complete Casseroll SS bike.

What I did is get a LBS to adapt all the parts from the SS Casseroll to the Surly Traveller check frame as well as mount the Rohloff hub. It went really well overseas. Although I did break a couple of spokes after about 600 kms. I ended up lacing up a new Mavic wheel to the Rohloff hub and I haven't had any probs since with spokes. The Bike shop that relaced the wheel for me in Amsterdam said that the Salsa Delgado rims were incorrectly laced to the Rohloff which was causing my broken spokes.Wether that is the truth or not I guess i will never know as I left the rim behind and went with the Mavic.

Overall though, Im now regularly commuting this bike to work and back these days as well as my SE Lager Fixie and am thoroughly enjoying both :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.