Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am going to buy a new 29er, I have been looking at the Big Mama & the Specialized
Epic comp and I have been looking at the Stumpjumper FSR expert, I like the sj expert
but it might have to much travle for what I'm going to use it for.

I will be doing about 3 or 4 24 hour races and it will be my mtb play bike so for playing I would love the long travle sj but I don't know if I can get the weight down to 25lbs on that bike. ($$$)

Whatever bike I get I an going to get lighter wheels,stem,handlerbars,saddle.
I know that the Specialized bikes are good bikes, heck they have thier own forum on here.
The big Mama I don't know that much about. I have been trying to read everything that I can find. I work part time at a bike shop, so I can get a good deal on the Salsa.

I am 175lb 6' so I'll be getting a large. I have always finshed in the top ten in 24 races so I do plug on the peddles hard and I like to get out of the saddle a lot, I don't want a bikr thats going to bob when I stand up to peddle the thing. I have been racing & riding a Giant
NRS for five years but the 26" wheel days are going away for me.

So heres what I would like to know, is any one racing any of the bikes above and have you worked on get the weight down to sub 26lbs.

Not just faster! Faster longer! That's what she likes!:madman:
 

·
I don't huck.
Joined
·
2,543 Posts
I have not raced it and it is not under 26lbs in the XL size I ride, but I cannot imagine a bike that is more bob-less then the Epic is with the Brain shock yet still gives you all the travel on demand.

The Big Mama is not known as a bike that seems to need a lot of ProPedal though.

I bet the two frame weights are pretty close. The rest of that "under 26 lbs" will be in expensive parts. Good luck there.
 

·
Space Ghost
Joined
·
962 Posts
The Big Mama is a 7 lb. frame in the 18" variety. Don't know about the Big S. If you are considering lightweight 29er's, what about the SC Tallboy? I thought I read something ridiculous that it was like 5 lbs. for a med. Of course the frame alone is $2400.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did look at the SC Tallboy but I'm working with a budget of about $3,000.00 for the hole bike, and so the Big Mama I can get a
pro deal on and than put the rest of my money on the wheels saddle. thks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,389 Posts
This is an interesting topic to me too... due to a re-injury of my back, I may have to switch to FS.
Anyways I've been looking at FS "race" bikes that don't break the bank due to parts I have that may/will lighten them up a bit.
I think I'm getting the handle on it now
One of the "entry level" fully bikes ($2000-$2500) are all going to be at least 28-30 pounds stock.
smart "budget" upgrading might get them closer to 27 lbs.
To get a bike down to 25-26 pounds is going to be major money (enough where you can probably buy the bike already built like an S-Works Epic)
I bet the Epic Comp and the Big Mama frames (and who ever else in that price point) are all going to be 6.5-7.5 pounds or so depending on the size.
5 pound frames are going to be $2000 and up, so you have to ask yourself if it's worth it.


Sorry, i just ended up rambling here....
 

·
I don't huck.
Joined
·
2,543 Posts
Coach417 said:
The Big Mama is a 7 lb. frame in the 18" variety. Don't know about the Big S. If you are considering lightweight 29er's, what about the SC Tallboy? I thought I read something ridiculous that it was like 5 lbs. for a med. Of course the frame alone is $2400.
Is it really? I did not know the BM was that heavy as a frame. I don't have any hard facts, but I don't think the Epic frame is that heavy, however it does not have the Tall Boy worried over the weight weenie crown either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,389 Posts
mtroy said:
Is it really? I did not know the BM was that heavy as a frame. I don't have any hard facts, but I don't think the Epic frame is that heavy, however it does not have the Tall Boy worried over the weight weenie crown either.
Well I think Salsa built that frame with durability in mind for the trail crowd versus weight for the XC race crowd.
I'm dying to know what a non S-Works frame weighs. I would still bet it's 6 pounds
 

·
I don't huck.
Joined
·
2,543 Posts
toddre said:
Well I think Salsa built that frame with durability in mind for the trail crowd versus weight for the XC race crowd.
I'm dying to know what a non S-Works frame weighs. I would still bet it's 6 pounds
Yeah. I would not think a 120mm fork would be the deal on an Epic, but I bet someone will do it anyway! I like the Big Mama and I think it has a wide appeal, likely a bit wider than the Epic, but that is just my opinion.

I would agree that the Epic is at least a 6 pound frame. It feels pretty stout, not at all like the old Jet-9 did, a bike that had the same intent. I will try and find out the weight this week when I am talking to the Big S engineers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,389 Posts
mtroy said:
Yeah. I would not think a 120mm fork would be the deal on an Epic, but I bet someone will do it anyway! I like the Big Mama and I think it has a wide appeal, likely a bit wider than the Epic, but that is just my opinion.

I would agree that the Epic is at least a 6 pound frame. It feels pretty stout, not at all like the old Jet-9 did, a bike that had the same intent. I will try and find out the weight this week when I am talking to the Big S engineers.
I just read a post elsewhere that some one weighed an XL Epic frame (Marathon) w/ Thompson post and XT FD and it weighed 6.85 pounds. So probably just under 6 pounds for frame (w/fork) only at $2800 or $2200 for a whole bike with a frame at probably around 7 pounds? lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well that's some good rambling! 27lbs. is what I'm going to have to live with..
I don't have $5,000.00 or $6,000.00 to spend on a 25-26 lb bike and do four 24 hour races this year. my 26er that I HAD! was 29lbs So I think I will be doing good at 27lbs and with
29in wheels Oh! Yah!..
I just got off the phone with the big S and Salsa. I like the fact that the Sram BM comes with a remote lockout for the front fork and that is a big deal to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,389 Posts
idinomac said:
Well that's some good rambling! 27lbs. is what I'm going to have to live with..
I don't have $5,000.00 or $6,000.00 to spend on a 25-26 lb bike and do four 24 hour races this year. my 26er that I HAD! was 29lbs So I think I will be doing good at 27lbs and with
29in wheels Oh! Yah!..
I just got off the phone with the big S and Salsa. I like the fact that the Sram BM comes with a remote lockout for the front fork and that is a big deal to me.
Well at least some one appreciates my rambling....:thumbsup:
I'm thinking 27-28 pounds is the magic weight for a FS 29er that is raceable yet durable enough as an XC trail bike, with out having to sell one of my kids....
 

·
I don't huck.
Joined
·
2,543 Posts
toddre said:
Well at least some one appreciates my rambling....:thumbsup:
I'm thinking 27-28 pounds is the magic weight for a FS 29er that is raceable yet durable enough as an XC trail bike, with out having to sell one of my kids....
Either one of my current FS bikes would make super endurance bikes and they are in the 27-28 lb range. It is a reasonable target to shoot for and is relatively affordable. It costs a LOT to shed another 2 lbs to get to 25ish #s
 

·
Ride and Smile suckas
Joined
·
593 Posts
After owning my Big Mama for a season now and doing my research before I picked it over a few others including the FSR one thing I found and still find about the Big Mama. EVERYONE loves theirs. you hardly ever see them for sale and even the racers swear by the solid suspension and handling of them...
just my 2 cents
 

·
Dave
Joined
·
899 Posts
I just built up a Pivot Mach 429 after stripping my Dos Niner by Salsa. I love the new feeling of added squish. THe frame weights were 1.6 lbs apart the Dos being lighter. THe Pivot turned out to a 30.1 lb bike. But the ride is way better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mcstumpy said:
After owning my Big Mama for a season now and doing my research before I picked it over a few others including the FSR one thing I found and still find about the Big Mama. EVERYONE loves theirs. you hardly ever see them for sale and even the racers swear by the solid suspension and handling of them...
just my 2 cents[/QUOTE

You hardly ever see them for sale; I have never seen a used one for sale! That's a good point. I have made up my crazy little mind..

It's going to be the BM and later this year I might get the Mamasita, maybe for 2010 Salsa will offer a Sram Mamasita..
 

·
Space Ghost
Joined
·
962 Posts
idinomac said:
mcstumpy said:
After owning my Big Mama for a season now and doing my research before I picked it over a few others including the FSR one thing I found and still find about the Big Mama. EVERYONE loves theirs. you hardly ever see them for sale and even the racers swear by the solid suspension and handling of them...
just my 2 cents[/QUOTE

You hardly ever see them for sale; I have never seen a used one for sale! That's a good point. I have made up my crazy little mind..

It's going to be the BM and later this year I might get the Mamasita, maybe for 2010 Salsa will offer a Sram Mamasita..
I was going to chime in and say, if you buy the better deal and put your leftover budget towards lightening up your rig, I think you will be happier. As an aside, I dropped the weight of my RIP9 to a very svelte 28 lbs 7 oz. as a 1x9 with C-29's and Aspens for a 50 miler this Sat. It now feels like a rocket!
 

·
No longer 26
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
toddre said:
Well at least some one appreciates my rambling....:thumbsup:
I'm thinking 27-28 pounds is the magic weight for a FS 29er that is raceable yet durable enough as an XC trail bike, with out having to sell one of my kids....
You KNOW that I am on the edge of my seat when you start your ramblings:thumbsup: so make that 2 of us:p

G
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top