Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
141 - 160 of 208 Posts

·
Yukon Rider
185 Posts
25 pounds = 11.34 Kilograms

This is not an unlikly weight...I can confirm other 25 lbs BG's in my area.

Timeline Photos | Facebook
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind what one can do with some cash and know how to get the weight down:thumbsup: A number of BG owners were getting ready for this purchasing lighter parts before they even had their bikes in hand. I just don't have the cash yet will shave some weight as I get better components ie. brakes, shifters, derailleurs! as i plan on riding this bike for quite some time :)

G

·
The stock Beargrease weight is just fine by me. I stopped by the LBS on Monday, they had a new 2012 Moonlander for $1880 and a Beargrease for $3k. The Moonlander looked like the obvious choice due to the price, until I lifted the Beargrease and felt how light it was compared to the Moonlander, and then rode it through the showroom. Man that Beargrease is nice.

·
Registered
248 Posts
After seeing the other murdered out BG and already having the black wheels/tape I had to do it. Still up in the air about the Beargrease graphic so I let it be for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Decided to throw my BG on the scale tonight. Definitely a light fat bike (28lbs, 3oz), but I did think it was going to be lighter based on the upgrades I have made.

These are my changes from stock:

X9 Trigger shifters
Formula R1 Racing brakes
Ashima 160/140 rotors
Easton EC90 Zero Seatpost
Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
Easton EC70 XC Wide Flat bar
ESI Chunky Grips
KCNC seatpost Collar
Syntace F109 stem (75mm)
Cane Creek 110 series headset

Pedals: Egg Beater 2ti with short titanium spindles
Profile Designs Carbon Cage
Garmin Mount on stem

I have ordered a set of Q-Tubes superlight presta tubes (should drop significant weight)
ordered an arundel side loader for the seat tube
Also will upgrade the cassette and throw on a new chain before Barry Roubaix (gravel road race) in March.

Admittedly, I am a bit of a weight weenie. Logically, I know that a losing few grams aren't going to increase my enjoyment of this bike...

·
Fat & Single
4,166 Posts
Mnyquist, thats an impressive list of upgrades, i would have thought it would have been lighter that that too.
Sounds like you need to try another set of scales ? What size is the bike ?

The Q's are just over 200g so will save you a good bit even over DH tubes.

I run Arundel Dave-O's on all bikes, never tried their side loaders, awesome cages !

·
Fat & Single
4,166 Posts
Im just surprised going on your upgrades, carbon seat/bars/post, formula R1's with ashimas, ti wife beaters ect.... somebody scales are telling porkies.

If you have surly tubes in there those babies weigh haffa kilo each, the q's will lose you about 600g, that drops you to 27lb (if you are running surlys), its just strange as you cant go much lighter except changing wheels and they are only 170g per wheel heavier than margeLites, 320g all up :skep:

I would have definately thought it would have been a good 1.5lb lighter than it is. As you said, it wont take anything away from the enjoyment, they are an awesome looking bike, get out and ride :thumbsup:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I agree, ozzybmx. Have been getting 4-5 rides a week on this bike since I got it. Love the bike. Gravel, singletrack, snow.

I am still using the Surly tubes, so that should help.

Using a park digital scale to weigh it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi. How long brake hoses do your Beargreases have? I have ordered a large BG, and I'm wondering if 1500 mm rear brake hose will be long enough.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT hm, my 20" Pugs seems to have a 1500 mm rear brake hose, with enough length to do barspins. Sorry, stupid Q :eek:

·
Nice try
62 Posts
Mnyquist, remember that you weighed the pedals too. Most reported weights are sans pedals as they vary greatly and personal tastes differ. Switch tubes and subtract pedal weight and you're in line with what others are reporting....... Great job!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also have a Beargrease (small) and my dealer put it on his scale as it came out of the box. It weighed 28Lbs 14 oz on his Park scale. That was with no pedals but with the wheel reflectors. I question some of the claimed weights I see in this thread or maybe mine is a porker.

·
Yukon Rider
185 Posts
Wow! I am, as I write this, replacing both tubes with thinner DH ones and saving 145g per wheel. The Surly tubes the BG came with are 518g vs. the Axiom FreeRide, avg'd 373g per tube!! (between the 2; one was 372g and the other was 374g for the bean counters out there) Will ride tonight to make sure they set themselves properly yet right now all looks pretty good! 290g gone just like that for a 30 buck investment :)

141 - 160 of 208 Posts