Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They've shipped and are arriving at LBS, the Salsa Beargrease! Here is a photo of mine being built at the shop. Post a photo of yours as well. I can't wait for snow!!

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
That is interesting that they ship with the RD rim. I would have thought Marge Lites would be stock on the Salsa fat bike racer.

That'll be a good looking machine after it's finished! Updates are required!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shop owner s building up a bike with Marge Lites, powder coated yellow, carbon bars, Hope brakes, it'll be a trick bike when complete. I'll post photos of mine, and his bike as well.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The shop owner s building up a bike with Marge Lites, powder coated yellow, carbon bars, Hope brakes, it'll be a trick bike when complete. I'll post photos of mine, and his bike as well.
Sounds like he's shooting for a 25-26 pound fatty.:eek:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll weigh mine at the shop when I pick it up. I've not ridden a 'regular' fat bike, so I won't know the difference between the two.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm planning on buying mine next week when they arrive at my shop. It will be my first fatty...I was thinking about the mukluk 2, and am planning on making a final decision when I can ride them side by side, but dang the bg looks sweet. (muk looks like it can run bud and lou, bg would be bud/nate for when speed is not the objective, but that seems like the only think pointing towards the muk. I'll probably end up with the beargrease!

·
...big and slow
223 Posts
I'll weigh mine at the shop when I pick it up. I've not ridden a 'regular' fat bike, so I won't know the difference between the two.
We need to get all the Wichita Fatbikes together for the Global Fatbike Day ride on the 1st. Where do we ride? Millers Meadow? The dried up Little Arkansas River? I doubt that Air Capital will be ready to ride yet. Some urban fatbiking?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've almost made the decision to order a frame set. Can anyone help me decide between medium or small?

I'm 5'8, 160 lbs. with average proportions but I don't actually know my inseam. I plan to build it with Rolling Darryl's and Husker Du's for year-round riding.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Mukluk's run quite big. I am 5'9" with a 31" inseam and quite average arm and leg length. I have a medium 2012 Mukluk 2 with a 100mm stem and feel quite stretched out. But the 2012 has the Salsa bend 2 11 degree bar which bends forward and then back keepong it closer to a straight or 5 degree bar. Could probably go to a 90mm stem. You may be between sizes or closer to a small. It would really be good if you could find one to ride. If you like to ride with a short stem, you could probably go with the medium.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you like to ride with a short stem, you could probably go with the medium.
My road bike setup is a very compact frame with a long stem and it's just right for me so I think I'll go with the small Beargrease frame.

How does a long stem affect handling on single track vs. a short stem?

Edit: Just found a fitting chart here: Salsa Unveils 2013 Lineup – New Fatbikes, Travel Bikes, Gravel Racers & More - Bike Rumor

I fall just below the recommended height range for a medium frame set. So my plan is to go with a small frame set, carbon setback seat post, and stem length of 90-110 mm or so.

G

·
My road bike setup is a very compact frame with a long stem and it's just right for me so I think I'll go with the small Beargrease frame.

How does a long stem affect handling on single track vs. a short stem?
I cannot quantify this from a physics standpoint, however in real time the longer stem = slower and shorter = quicker.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can anybody give a ride report yet on their BG? Would love to hear about improvement in climbing efficiency of the BG versus a heavier fatbike.

I have a BG on order, but still on the fence on whether the 3.5 pounds difference is worth the cost of the upgrade and the loss I will take on selling my Mukluk 2. I'm figuring that the BG will be 29.5 stock with pedals. My ML is currently 33 with pedals.

The Mukluk 2 will never be able to ovecome the pound in the fork and the pound in the frame that the BG sheds, but I just read that a lighter cassette and chain netted someone a half pound reduction in their Mukluk. Maybe it is possible to get it down to a 2 pound difference.

·
Bad cat!
357 Posts
have a BG on order, but still on the fence on whether the 3.5 pounds difference is worth the cost of the upgrade and the loss I will take on selling my Mukluk 2. I'm figuring that the BG will be 29.5 stock with pedals. My ML is currently 33 with pedals.
Would never try to dissuade anyone from buying such a cool new toy, but you do have options with your (2012?) Muk 2 that will get you to Beargrease weights. None of the options are cheap, unfortunately. Mainly you can drop a pound plus in the fork getting a Carver carbon, and if you build a wheelset along the lines of Marge Lite/hope hubs/dt comps and put HuDu's or UL nates on you could lose 2-3lbs in rotation weight. Change the cassette, put a light bar and seat on, and you'd be there.

The plus side is that you can set up the bike porky for the winter, and switch to the summer dress and presto, like having a brand new bike. The downside is it's not a brand new bike. The geo, however, is basically identical between '12 Muk and '13 BG according to Salsa...

1 - 20 of 208 Posts