Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bikeoholic
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its already posted in the 29er board, however, I guess I'll toss up a notice here. Salsa has finally given details about their new Full Suspension 29er.

You can find a full write up here:
http://twentynineinches.com/2008/06/17/salsa-sol-sessions-the-big-mama/

Her is Salsa's page on it:
http://www.salsacycles.com/bigmama08.html

With some cool animations
And a link to the PDF with some good info and pictures:
http://www.salsacycles.com/pdf/ElKaboingBigMamaDetails.pdf

I'll put up some pictures for good measure.

Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Bicycle wheel

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Spoke

Orange Bicycle accessory Amber Bicycle Bicycle frame

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'm geeked to get my cheeks on one of these. I do a lot of solo races and I think as my soon to be 37 year old, marginally talented, sort of "in shape" body ages it just might be ready to go to back to full on FS. The Dos Niner is my fave right now, but with the right parts this thing is gonna be the ballz. Bravo Salsa!

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
jasondean said:
I'm geeked to get my cheeks on one of these. I do a lot of solo races and I think as my soon to be 37 year old, marginally talented, sort of "in shape" body ages it just might be ready to go to back to full on FS. The Dos Niner is my fave right now, but with the right parts this thing is gonna be the ballz. Bravo Salsa!
I'm right there with ya' Jason. I've been waiting quite a while for the production version of this bike to materialize, because I knew it'd be worth the wait. I'm ready to be back on a dualie!! I love my Dos, don't get me wrong. It's awesome for what it is, but a true full suspension bike, in the sense of a four-inch travel rig, it simply isn't.

For a 12 or 24 hour solo race rig, the Big Mama is going to be just what the MG ordered!
:thumbsup:
RIP IT!

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
Just saw this last night as I was perusing the Salsa site....I like it a lot! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One question I have though: with no pivot, how does this work? Is there something with the way the chainstays tie into the seatstays that allows for the greater amount of flex? What's to keep the chainstay from shearing off the bottom of the seatstay?

Sorry that was more than one and here's another: why don't they put a brace between the stays on the non-drive side to help strengthen that area to compensate for braking? My Walt Works has one and I think it's a great idea!

Still can't wait to ride a Big Mama!

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
k2biker said:
Just saw this last night as I was perusing the Salsa site....I like it a lot! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One question I have though: with no pivot, how does this work? Is there something with the way the chainstays tie into the seatstays that allows for the greater amount of flex? What's to keep the chainstay from shearing off the bottom of the seatstay?

Sorry that was more than one and here's another: why don't they put a brace between the stays on the non-drive side to help strengthen that area to compensate for braking? My Walt Works has one and I think it's a great idea!

Still can't wait to ride a Big Mama!
You may want to look a little closer. There is a pivot. The scandium seatstays are designed to flex a bit though. If this bike fits me anywhere near as perfect as my Dos Niner does I will sell my Turner flux frame and wheels, keep all the other parts and build a big mama. Ever since I got my Dos my custom Turner has been collecting dust. Don't get me wrong it is a wonderful bike but the Dos just feels like "Home" to me.

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
Ok, sorry...didn't check out the pics on twentynineinches.com. I see where they've beefed up the brake side chainstay and there does seem to be a pivot in the one picture.

Makes it all that more appealing!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
sandmangts said:
You may want to look a little closer. There is a pivot. The scandium seatstays are designed to flex a bit though. If this bike fits me anywhere near as perfect as my Dos Niner does I will sell my Turner flux frame and wheels, keep all the other parts and build a big mama. Ever since I got my Dos my custom Turner has been collecting dust. Don't get me wrong it is a wonderful bike but the Dos just feels like "Home" to me.
Yes, what the heck is it with the fit of the Dos Niner? I bought an El Ray and love it however I recently took the DNiner out and could not believe how natural it was. I'm now riding 50/50 DN vs. ER and the DN is rigid forked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.