Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything that can be done about this? I took my girlfriend there because there's some nice flowy single track that's not too rocky. Instead, it was muddy and loamy, chewed up by either MXers or Quads. Every corner that should have had a nice hard berm was instead a mud wallow. At first I thought it was rain and mtbers, but I soon realized the tracks were way too wide and the tread pattern way too aggressive. It's a shame, especially this year, as given all the rain it's gonna take those trails forever to recover.

David B.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Hey David,

I'm not sure exactly where you were riding, but MXers and Quads have been an issue at Salmon River for a long time. There was a time when it was hikers, MTB and a few MXers and it was all singletrack on the Salmon River and on the Day Pond sides. That went out the window about 10 years ago when the Quads started hammering the place.

There has been some trail work being done out there that is very sweet, if you followed 'old' routes, you may have missed them. Take a look at the BR map for Day Pond - there's a really nice route that avoids all the MX/Quad nastiness.

John

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,

Thanks for the reply. I know I know what BR is, but I am having internal tip of the tongue syndrome, if that makes any sense. Can you give me a site address?

Also, any other tips, from you or anyone, about flowy single track in CT?

David B.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
www.bikerag.com

There's some really nice, flowy singletrack at Blackledge Falls. Its on the Gay City map - the black squiggly lines near where it says "Private". Very fun trail. You can get to that trail either from the Blackledge Falls parking lot or from Birch Mountain Road where the blue crosses.

John

·
ZEN RIDER!
950 Posts
Grayville has a few loops of flowy single track if yu know where to look.
The dump run (other part of Salmon river) has some new single track but you have to suffer with a long hal up the old jeep road to get to it.
Mansfield Hollow isn't bad either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts