Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another day on the trail full of novice riders without helmets. Even observed a dad (without a helmet) with his son on a street bmx bike. What?? Who the hell is recommending this trail to beginners? It really needs to stop. Someone is really going to get seriously injured riding a trail that is not meant for beginners. I asked 5 people today, "Where is your helmet?"

It's not that I don't want newbies on the trail, it's just, I've never seen more people on this trail without helmets than any other trail I ride, and I ride a lot of trails. Those who frequently ride know it's probably the most technical in the immediate area with pointy sharp rocks and a steep cliff that would do a lot of damage if someone crashed, without a helmet.

So please, if you know someone who is just getting into this sport strongly suggest riding GB before Darrington and PLEASE, PLEASE STRONGLY encourage to wear a helmet!
 

·
Propr
Joined
·
1,192 Posts
Yeah that's nothing new for slammin' balls trail! I've seen it time and time again (no helmet). And I think I remember seeing somewhere in some old trail book..."100 mountain bike trails" or something like that, that they say its for beginner to intermediate riders. I've always disagreed with that statement as well...the beginning of that trail is really not for beginners...but once you're past the death from shear drop-off section its not terrible I guess. And I guess it depends on how far you go and what route too. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,264 Posts
you have to admit that kid had balls tho. I think he was like five years old tops, and still had training wheels on it, taking the high climb instead of the big rock first section and looking to tear down back to the main trail.

That kids gunna be casing road gaps at whistler by 10!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,441 Posts
This will pass. They will go away. These people only come out during this time of year. They get their new shiny Wally World as a gift, thinking they're going to finally get in shape. It takes one ride on a trail like this for them to realize, it's futile. The bike will go back into the over sized garage, only to be relegated to some corner, only to get "stuff" piled on it.

Be patient, they will go away.

jps
 

·
Kiss my Grits!
Joined
·
115 Posts
cracked pumpkin

A few years ago I was riding the FHD trail with a friend. Both of us were experienced mtn bikers. We were climbing one of the roller-coaster short ups, at about 1/2 mph. My friend hit a pretty tiny little rock that stopped and pitched him to the right and when he put his foot down the earth gave way and he went over. As he crawled back up the hill from a pretty funny fall, I saw the good sized rock with a sharp point and told him how lucky he was to have missed it. He said, "NO, I think I got it." we looked at the sde of his helmet and it was caved in.

The worst falls may occur at next to know speed and be really benign looking.

I cringe every time I see someone riding Slammin' Balls with no helmet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,767 Posts
They were all over Granite Bay this weekend as well. Shiny chromed out department store bikes, sweat pants and no helmet. They were pretty easy to pick out. Not so easy to avoid however, because none of them understand trail edicate:skep:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Maybe you guys should ride some harder trails. Sounds like a grandma and here grand kids with training wheels could ride these trails. Whos to judge what is hard or easy??? If they are out there riding, i would think they would deserve some respect, instead of *****ing at them for not wearing a helmet(last I heard if you are over 18 it is still optional), ask them is they are having a good time, if they say yeah, go on about your way if they say no, the trail is hard, then suggest another area. I have ridden with some seasoned MTBers, that did nothing but complain on a ride, because they had to ride through brush and there were rocks and logs on the trails, one guy refused to go down a trail because he might damage his derailer. you say tomato I say...

Since I have never been there, i just did a search on youtube to see what all the fuss is about. Looks like a great place for a family ride.
 

·
Pee's in the H8teraid
Joined
·
420 Posts
Saw a dude hittin' Braille at Demo one day with NO gear at all...Saw him again bout 1.5 mos. later with full gear...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,787 Posts
I've seen a lot of people on Salmon Falls with no helmet, but other than the first few hundred feet, and the rocky part about 2/3 in, it's not a hard trail. It's no harder than Granite Bay, IMO. I take beginners out there, and ride Salmon Falls when I'm looking for a cruise ride. Normally I would pounce on a post like the one Zeke made, but he's right :eek:

I don't think riding with helmets on mountain bike trails is OK, but don't try to sell Salmon Falls as some super techy ride. It's a solid trail for beginners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,264 Posts
ZEKEDAWG said:
Maybe you guys should ride some harder trails. Sounds like a grandma and here grand kids with training wheels could ride these trails. Whos to judge what is hard or easy??? If they are out there riding, i would think they would deserve some respect, instead of *****ing at them for not wearing a helmet(last I heard if you are over 18 it is still optional), ask them is they are having a good time, if they say yeah, go on about your way if they say no, the trail is hard, then suggest another area. I have ridden with some seasoned MTBers, that did nothing but complain on a ride, because they had to ride through brush and there were rocks and logs on the trails, one guy refused to go down a trail because he might damage his derailer. you say tomato I say...

Since I have never been there, i just did a search on youtube to see what all the fuss is about. Looks like a great place for a family ride.
the kid was 6, tops...on a walmart bike with training wheels...

But what do I know, you're right. Hope he owned those rockgardens with techy gnar fab, dawg :skep:

Keep on shred'n jewbraham lincoln
 

·
organically fed
Joined
·
1,175 Posts
Are youz guyz tryin' to say that Salmon Falls is for anything BUT beginners?

It's certainly not for helmet-less fools and Wal*Mart bikes, but there's not much too it that a beginner couldn't ace straight from the first ride.

Heck, on second thought, a Wal*Mart bike would do just fine.
 

·
orthonormal
Joined
·
5,131 Posts
redmr2_man said:
the kid was 6, tops...on a walmart bike with training wheels...

But what do I know, you're right. Hope he owned those rockgardens with techy gnar fab, dawg :skep:

Keep on shred'n jewbraham lincoln
Was there some point to this post that couldn't have been made without including an anti-Semitic slur?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
My boys started riding single track on walmart bikes at the age of 5. it isn't a big deal unless you make it out to be a big deal.
 

·
orthonormal
Joined
·
5,131 Posts
nachomc said:
I've seen a lot of people on Salmon Falls with no helmet, but other than the first few hundred feet, and the rocky part about 2/3 in, it's not a hard trail. It's no harder than Granite Bay, IMO. I take beginners out there, and ride Salmon Falls when I'm looking for a cruise ride. Normally I would pounce on a post like the one Zeke made, but he's right :eek:

I don't think riding with helmets on mountain bike trails is OK, but don't try to sell Salmon Falls as some super techy ride. It's a solid trail for beginners.
The two spots you mention really aren't difficult. It's more that there can be severe consequences for making a mistake. Mickey Mouse is more of a challenge but still not that severe.

Even so, sh*t happens. I've had to ride out and get the paramedics for a guy who busted his tibia less than 1/2 mile into Salmon Falls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,264 Posts
andy f said:
Was there some point to this post that couldn't have been made without including an anti-Semitic slur?
:skep: I saw comedy and not a slur. If you can't joke about things, when will the hate end? :thumbsup:
 

·
orthonormal
Joined
·
5,131 Posts
redmr2_man said:
:skep: I saw comedy and not a slur. If you can't joke about things, when will the hate end? :thumbsup:
"Shred'n" and "Lincoln" almost rhyme. I get that. Why "jewbraham" instead of "Abraham", though? How does that make your joke more funny?
 
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Top