Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was planning on going to Salida this weekend but it's looking like there's a 40-50% chance of rain every day. Anyone have any alternate suggestions? Durango and Santa Fe look like rain as well, Angel Fire has a big event this weekend and I bet it'll be crowded.

I've not yet ridden Moab or Sedona, and was planning those for later this year because of the heat. But it's still 10 degrees cooler in Sedona right now than it is where I live down here in southern NM.

Any suggestions? I'm just going to hit the post button before I ramble on.

·
Nothing seems to kill me
742 Posts
I wouldn't count Salida out. Just because it says it's going to rain doesn't mean it will rain a lot. But you never can tell here in CO.
There is Penitente Canyon about 65 miles south of Salida down 285. It is near Del Norte CO. It has some awesome riding. The big loop is Sunshine Kitty-Rock Drop loop. It is a blast. Have a map, it's easy to get confused without one. Sometimes they have them at the main trail head. Trails are marked mostly with yellow number signs they call confidence markers or something like that. Check it out on Mtn Bike Project. It has a pretty nice camp ground that is $11 a night, but it's National Forest and you can camp for free on some of the back roads. It's also renowned for it's rock climbing if you are in to that.

And about 50 miles East of Salida and 6 miles North of Canon City on hwy 9 is Oil Well Flats. It's classic desert riding. Not a lot of shade but some awesome trails. Unconformity and Anticline are my favorites. Again, check it out on Mtn Bike Project.

Or you can hop over Monarch Pass on 50 and hit Hartman Rocks on the West end of Gunnison and Crested Butte is right up the road from there.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd head into higher elevation so it's not blazing hot. How's the forecast for Crested Butte?
Crested Butte has rain forecasted at 40-50% for the whole weekend.

I have ridden Hartman Rocks and Crested Butte before (and Salida, too) but there's always more to see. Thanks everyone for responding so quickly.

I'm not afraid of getting wet but if the trails are sloppy, I wouldn't want to risk damaging them.

CUP-TON, thanks for the suggestions. There's a trail system east of Salida that I haven't ridden, and I'm also bringing a beginner rider with me so I definitely wanted to explore a bit instead of scaring the bejesus out of her every day on the high elevation black diamond stuff (although she's going to do some of that whether she likes it or not!).

That brewery in Poncha Springs is so good that I might brave the rain just to drink their beer.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Salida isn't rained out, stick with your plans and go to Salida. In a normal summer, this is monsoon season, you will most likely see that same chance of rain every single day. This often means the trails are in great shape, nice and tacky. Personally, I'd consider this weekend an excellent time to go. Ride early, especially if going above treeline, as monsoon typically means afternoon thunderstorms.

I find the riding to be relatively inferior durning long bouts of dryness, and by contrast tacky goodness during times of moisture. Plus it smells and feels better out after a nice rain.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Salida isn't rained out, stick with your plans and go to Salida. In a normal summer, this is monsoon season, you will most likely see that same chance of rain every single day. This often means the trails are in great shape, nice and tacky. Personally, I'd consider this weekend an excellent time to go. Ride early, especially if going above treeline, as monsoon typically means afternoon thunderstorms.

I find the riding to be relatively inferior durning long bouts of dryness, and by contrast tacky goodness during times of moisture. Plus it smells and feels better out after a nice rain.
I definitely love the riding there; it's been my favorite place I've ever ridden. I'm still on the fence about adjusting my plans as well, so Salida may still happen.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
So I was planning on going to Salida this weekend but it's looking like there's a 40-50% chance of rain every day. Anyone have any alternate suggestions? Durango and Santa Fe look like rain as well, Angel Fire has a big event this weekend and I bet it'll be crowded.

I've not yet ridden Moab or Sedona, and was planning those for later this year because of the heat. But it's still 10 degrees cooler in Sedona right now than it is where I live down here in southern NM.

Any suggestions? I'm just going to hit the post button before I ramble on.
Sedona will still be hot. Prescott is not bad. Flag will be nice, but some areas on Elden will be closed due to the fire. Also 40-50% chance of rain this time of year seems normal. To me that means there is a 50% of chance it will rain sometime during the day. Not bad. Chances of it raining all day are pretty slim. Now I don't know how the trails handle water.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,084 Posts
As others have suggested, I wouldn't let a 40-50% chance of rain stop you.

I mean, it rains pretty often in CO in the afternoon. Particularly in the high country. Then the sun comes back and it dries out again.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Like other said, you have a 50% chance of thunderstorms almost every day this time of year in SW CO. I’m planning on coming over from Durango to do the Monarch Crest Trail this weekend. I’m 100% sure it will rain, probably 3 times or more throughout the day. Might even hail, sleet or snow at that elevation. It’s all good.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,084 Posts
Like other said, you have a 50% chance of thunderstorms almost every day this time of year in SW CO. I'm planning on coming over from Durango to do the Monarch Crest Trail this weekend. I'm 100% sure it will rain, probably 3 times or more throughout the day. Might even hail, sleet or snow at that elevation. It's all good.
Yep.

Clouds will roll in at ~3pm. The wind will pick up, the temps will plummet. It will rain, or hail, or snow. You'll hide under a tree or overhanging rock. Bring a windbreaker if you have one.

Ten minutes will pass. Drink some water (it's deceptively hot and very dry here). Eat some food. Then the storm will move on and it will warm up again.

That said, unless people are riding basically IN TOWN, they need to get the hell off the mountain(s) well before sundown. You can easily die of hypothermia up there, even at this time of year, unless you're carrying a lot of warm, dry clothing with you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.