Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm staying in Salida Labor Day weekend. I have a bike reserved and plan on biking up Rd 175 (gravel). I'm from the East and am fit, experienced biker and am looking to ride up big mtn that isn't too, too steep or too single tracky. Is this route a good idea for me??

·
High Plains Drifter
209 Posts
I'm staying in Salida Labor Day weekend. I have a bike reserved and plan on biking up Rd 175 (gravel). I'm from the East and am fit, experienced biker and am looking to ride up big mtn that isn't too, too steep or too single tracky. Is this route a good idea for me??
Ute Trail aka CR175 is a really good climb, nice gravel degrading into slightly worse road as you approach the Fremont County line. Any car could get up it.

I might suggest a better choice: the Marshall Pass Road aka CR200. Higher, steady grade, prettier by an order of magnitude. It's an old railroad grade, so 4% climb relatively constant. Only downside to CR200 for the holiday weekends is moar Texas wheelchairs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Am I going to get on this trail at Mears Junction, I'll be able to park there? I guess I'll look for 200 signs and keep pedaling until I run out of vertical or legs. I think I can make it!!! Maybe, probably.

·
High Plains Drifter
209 Posts
Am I going to get on this trail at Mears Junction, I'll be able to park there? I guess I'll look for 200 signs and keep pedaling until I run out of vertical or legs. I think I can make it!!! Maybe, probably.
From Mears Jct I would drive 3 miles up 200 to the parking lot at Shirley Site. You will see a right turn to O'Haver Lake/Marshall Pass. That road is 202 not 200, and not for you and your bike. Keep going a little bit and you'll see the parking lot to your left. 200 goes straight out of the parking lot, 201 goes to the left. About half mile up from parking lot, 203 will go off to the left. You stay right. And then get to work.

·
High Plains Drifter
209 Posts
If I get to the top of 200, is there any problems with coming back down on 203 just to change it up? I see that 203 is a lot stepper though??
203 (AKA Poncha Creek Road) is steeper, especially at the top. Not too cobbly by Colorado Jeep Road Standards, but steep. If the bike you are going to ride has a suspension fork and disc brakes, go for it. No fork, I'd say that road could shake the teeth out of your head.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey buddy, thanks! Fabulous ride and scenery, was just what I was looking for .
I was up and down this am on 200, did first 30minutes with lights. It was an easy slog up. Coming down I wish i had gloves. Only funny thing is that I'm not too familiar with cattle and I had to run the gauntlet on top twice not knowing what they would do. Also, saw two moose in the meadow on top.
Looks like we are going back up tomorrow am, by car, to climb Mt Ouray.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Hey buddy, thanks! Fabulous ride and scenery, was just what I was looking for .
I was up and down this am on 200, did first 30minutes with lights. It was an easy slog up. Coming down I wish i had gloves. Only funny thing is that I'm not too familiar with cattle and I had to run the gauntlet on top twice not knowing what they would do. Also, saw two moose in the meadow on top.
Looks like we are going back up tomorrow am, by car, to climb Mt Ouray.
Be more afraid of moose than cattle but don't get too near the cattle, either. Usually the cows will just slowly walk away, but you never know with moose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.