Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be heading out West for a couple of weeks on July 5. We are going to Salida/Buena Vista for two nights, Crested Butted for 3 nights, then on to Santa Fe/Angelfire/Pajarito for the remainder.

I'm very familiar with everything except our first leg in Salida/Buena Vista, so I'm looking for input.

We plan on doing one day of riding there (the remainder of the trip will focus on riding) and one day of rafting. What should we ride? Firstly, it will be me and my 11 year old son. He's an extremely capable descender (races enduro), but he won't be able to handle a Western style climb.

We can shuttle, as my wife and other son will be willing to do that for us. I've thought about shuttling Monarch Pass, but I'm worried it will still have snow after the epic winter.

Other thoughts for awesome trails in that area?

Also: are there any dirt jump parks or jump lines in the area, as we'll likely have our DJ bikes as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think that one of the more interesting trails in that area is Vitamin B outside of BV. The climb is up a dirt road and then the singletrack is mostly downhill. It has a variety of technical sections, some double black, but most of it solid advanced level riding. There is very little flow on the trail. Fun rock rollovers, drops and other features.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i just visited Salida. shuttle up to beasly and come down roomba and cottonwood back to town. at mid point on cottonwood you can choose a fork, but both will bring you back down. i chose prospector to lower sand dunes rather than cottonwood the whole way

but climbing up is easy as it's on a fire road, so it'll just be a constant pedal

nice 35-45 minutes down for a capable descender. little pedaling

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
506 Posts
+1 for a shuttle to Beasley—>Cottonwood if you only have one day to ride. Also like sinfony said, hang a right at uncle nazty ( involves a small hike a bike up the hill) then down Prospector—>Sand Dunes to finish right in town. Enjoy.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Cottonwood is my all time favorite trail. I pedaled it though, didn't shuttle. It's worth it!
Yep, great loop.

There are all kinds of great semi technical loops in the Midland/Barbra Whipple area.

You can also loop many combination in the S mountain system just outside of Salida and the Rainbow/little rainbow/Bear Creek loop is a great one too.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We rode Cottonwood today. Beasway->Roomba->Cottonwood->Mesa

There was a bit of whining about the climbing in the first section, but the second half made it all worthwhile.

My 11-year old sessioned the Waterfall section until he cleaned it, so that was pretty awesome.

We are heading to Hartman Rocks on the way to Crested Butte tomorrow. Definitely want to do Rattlesnake but not sure what else we will hit there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Best of Salida

Great choice! The Salida area has awesome riding, rafting, hiking and so much more. We just shared our Destination Guide for Salida which includes our recommendations on the best trails to ride, places to paddle, restaurants, bars, camping and more! We spent a month there recently and absolutely love all of the outdoor options, plus the great town, and nearby free camping. Can't be beat! Let me know if you have any questions & enjoy your trip!

Cheers,
Julie

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
We rode Cottonwood today. Beasway->Roomba->Cottonwood->Mesa

There was a bit of whining about the climbing in the first section, but the second half made it all worthwhile.

My 11-year old sessioned the Waterfall section until he cleaned it, so that was pretty awesome.

We are heading to Hartman Rocks on the way to Crested Butte tomorrow. Definitely want to do Rattlesnake but not sure what else we will hit there.
Hartman Rocks is fun. Shuttle Doctor Park if you have a vehicle with the clearance, your son will love it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.