Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ylthgitS dipootS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll I'm brand spankin' new hear (n00b alert, n00b alert!!!) and I was just wondering if there are any trails that you would reccommend for a pair of beginner FS bikers that would/could give us a taste of what's to come once we get some more experience. If it helps my father in law is riding a Gary Fisher Cake 2 DLX and I'll be riding a Raleigh Ram 1.0 hear in the near future.

We'd be willing to travel a bit as well.

Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
482 Posts
There are some nice trails in McDonald Forest adjacent to Corvallis. They are kept mostly pretty smooth, but Extendo has some rooty sections. Try Dan's Trail and Horse Trail for starters. Access from Chip Ross Park.

A fair bit more challenging for Corvallis area riding is the East Ridge- North Ridge Loop on Mary's Peak. The climb can be done on a closed fire road and then the paved Mary's Peak Road, or up the East Ridge Trail instead of the paved section of road. The descent is some challenging switchbacks with exposure to steep slopes and lots of roots.

If I were you, I would take the time to check out the McKenzie River Trail- make this your first priority the next time you have a full day- its probably about 2.5 hours from you. This is some of the best riding anywhere. The full-blown version of this ride involves a shuttle to Clear Lake and then a 27-mile descent along the river. The upper part is rocky expert riding, but the lower half, below Trail Bridge Reservoir, is much easier.

For starters, park your car at the lower trailhead just east of McKenzie Bridge and ride up as far as you want. It is a gentle grade, no long climbs, easy at first but gets gradually more interesting- really fun singletrack and a beautiful old-growth forest next to the gin-clear McKenzie. There are several options for accessing the trail from campgrounds just off the highway. It doesn't start to get real rocky until the section along Trail Bridge, I'd guess this about 10-12 miles up from McKenzie Bridge.

There is also a trail system straight east of you at the Molalla River. Quite a few different trails criss-crossing a relatively small area but pretty fun riding.

dUbMaN said:
Hey ya'll I'm brand spankin' new hear (n00b alert, n00b alert!!!) and I was just wondering if there are any trails that you would reccommend for a pair of beginner FS bikers that would/could give us a taste of what's to come once we get some more experience. If it helps my father in law is riding a Gary Fisher Cake 2 DLX and I'll be riding a Raleigh Ram 1.0 hear in the near future.

·
ylthgitS dipootS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch riverrat! We'll be sure to hit those when we get the chance. For right now I'm just riding around town, there are a few trails around, but they are mostly for walking/running so there's not much realfun stuff to do around here.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
dUbMaN said:

Plenty of good riding around Salem. Hit http://www.merrycranksters.org and click on "trails" on the nav bar at the bottom. Dallas is closed for Fire season right now but everything else is open. Give a shout on the chat board or schedule a ride on the calendar if you want company.

·
Registered
219 Posts
30 minutes west of Salem. Burma Peak, just northwest of Dallas, is the best & closest to Salem. It is closed, by Bosie Cascade, due to fire danger. Be sure to ride it in October. Maps available at Santiam Bike in downtown Salem.

30 minutes east of Salem. Silver Creek Falls has some nice beginner trails. The Buck Mountain Loop is just southwest of the main South Falls parking area. Maps available at trail head.

20 minutes south of Dallas. Falls City has some nice riding. The trails are open to MTB only. Maps available at Santiam Bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts