Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the market for some new cranks. Sorry about the thread, I normally hate these threads, but I've got a few specific questions I'm wondering.

First off, reliability. I'm deciding between used 07 saints 83x bb and 165mm arms and new 83x170 vendettas. Obviously the new vendettas, being cromo with a lifetime warranty will last me for the next forever. Is buying the saints (assuming they're in good condition) sketchy?

Weight is not a concern. They're both within a range I'm willing to accept. I'm about reliability and stiffness. I assume both are going to be nothing short of fantastic. I need them to work for the next 4-5 years (barring getting a new bike they're incompatible with or something.)

Ground clearance - I hit my cranks alot. I ride in SB a reasonable amount, and I've got a 13.75BB with 8 inches of travel. whatever I get is going to take a beating. I know the vendetta's are longer, but aluminum tends to stick down further past the pedal. I'm guessing their total length is about the same?

Ease of use/guide setup: I'm running an LG1. I assume both sets will work with that, I'd prefer not to have to spend more then a half hour getting the guide spacing set up for proper chainline. I also want them easily transferable - I'm a huge fan of the shimano BB/spline interface. Are the vendetta's ok? Can I put them on and off frequently?

I'm pretty sure I can get the vendetta's for about 40-50 bucks more. I'm kind of leaning that way because of the warranty, and in fact the only reason I'm even considering these saints is because of the vast number of die hard fans who never have any troubles with them and are way rougher on their sh1t then me. Saint fans, this is your time to shine. Convince me I should get the saints. The main thing thats swaying me away from them is worry that being used, I'll be SOL if I break them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have saints and never had a problem with them but i did put a serious gash on them when i came of on crough patrick (Ireland). steel is much stronger and id say there's not to much in the difference weight wise. i have crome gusset pigmys on my bmx and i wrek it down steps all the time and never bent them. steel = strength

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I run vendetta's on everything. Including my race bike (Chumba F5). I smack my pedals off of everything but rarely hit the crankarms because they are low profile at the ends. The chainline is super easy to adjust, they are cheap, easy and cheap to service, pretty much indestructible, and they work with lg1's and mrp g'2.

the only drawback of the vendetta's are that they don't make a Ti spindle in 83mm.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rollertoaster said:
I run vendetta's on everything. Including my race bike (Chumba F5). I smack my pedals off of everything but rarely hit the crankarms because they are low profile at the ends. The chainline is super easy to adjust, they are cheap, easy and cheap to service, pretty much indestructible, and they work with lg1's and mrp g'2.

the only drawback of the vendetta's are that they don't make a Ti spindle in 83mm.
like I said, weight isn't my primary concern, I'm ok with a steel spindle

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
You can always get a new spindle and transfer the Vendettas to another bike if it has a 68/73mm shell.

The Vendettas will have a broader range of chainline adjustment. But it does take a little more time, you have to install and remove the arms a couple of times to get the spacers right. Deity even makes a LG1 specific sprocket.

The Saints will probably be a bit quicker to install and remove. But the Deity is still pretty easy with the self-extracting crank bolts.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I'm running a Profile Imperial ring on mine (Vendetta's). The Deity rings are pretty sweet too. Haven't had any problems with installing or removing them so far.

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
I run both Saints and Vendettas on multiple bikes

both cranks are very solid and have never given me any trouble. Vendettas take a bit more time to install and get the chainline perfect, and aren't as easy to pull off and swap from bike to bike as the Saints.

However, the warranty and CS of Deity more than make up for those small drawbacks.

Performance wise, the Vendettas blow me away time and time again. I just did a full rebuild of my DH bike after a season of bike park shred. It was amazing to see and feel how clean and smooth the bearings were after all the abuse i put them through. I will buy Vendettas again, no question about it.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
William42 said:
Saint fans, this is your time to shine. Convince me I should get the saints. The main thing thats swaying me away from them is worry that being used, I'll be SOL if I break them.
:rolleyes:

Why do you feel the need for some sort of 'convincing' from 'die hard fans'? I guess all those NWD guys throwing themselves off cliffs and world cup race teams isn't enough for you.......

The Saint brand is synonymous with "bombproof" and represents the pinnacle of reliability/durability for Shimano -- the undisputed king of cold-forging aluminum in the cycling industry.

Every Saint product I've sent in for warranty (using the term 'warranty' very loosely) was replaced promptly with a brand-new-in-box equal -- no questions asked. If that's not standing behind your engineering 100% and offering end-user support, I'm not sure what is....

If you really want vilified e-vidence, do this:

Dig around for some threads/pictures of welded BMX-style cranks that have cracked, bent, etc. Then dig around for a thread/picture of a Saint crank that blew up.

You'll know what to buy after that.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Saint +2. I had them on two single speed bikes. They remind me of stealth bombers. I went to Middleburn RS7/Phil Wood square/Phil Wood EBB on one (my 29er), though. I think the 2009 Saints are even better in weight reduction and up on fashion. And the prices are right - can be bought around $150-250 used/new. I would go XTR single but the Saints have that bashguard that hides the chainring and I like that. The fact that you can also go w/ 2009+ Chris King external bottom brackets is a plus. The fact that most people can't stop staring at them. Also, titanium Moots single speed mountain bike in catalog has Saints, the titanium Seven Cycles single speed mountain bike in catalog rocks Saints. It may be a plus or con depending on your traits...

2005 Moots Uno (1 of 25 made) EBB catalog bike.

2008 Seven Cycles SS carbon fiber/titanium web catalog bike.

2004 Bianchi SASS sittin' on chrome. Rigid & Metro Tuned.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rb said:

Why do you feel the need for some sort of 'convincing' from 'die hard fans'? I guess all those NWD guys throwing themselves off cliffs and world cup race teams isn't enough for you.......

The Saint brand is synonymous with "bombproof" and represents the pinnacle of reliability/durability for Shimano -- the undisputed king of cold-forging aluminum in the cycling industry.

Every Saint product I've sent in for warranty (using the term 'warranty' very loosely) was replaced promptly with a brand-new-in-box equal -- no questions asked. If that's not standing behind your engineering 100% and offering end-user support, I'm not sure what is....

If you really want vilified e-vidence, do this:

Dig around for some threads/pictures of welded BMX-style cranks that have cracked, bent, etc. Then dig around for a thread/picture of a Saint crank that blew up.

You'll know what to buy after that.
Pro's using a product has never really impressed me. Anything will last if you're smooth, And who knows how often they get new cranks. But your right, shimano is great with warranty and working at a shop I'm fairly confidant I could get them warrantied should anything be a problem, but I'm dreading making a phonecall 3-4 years down the line "hi, I've got some 7-8 year old second hand cranks, want to warranty them?

I just like new stuff over used stuff, having worked at a shop its so much easier to deal with companies when its your stuff you bought first hand. That, and I don't know what used stuff has been used for, so buying from random people is scary.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
William42 said:
I'm dreading making a phonecall 3-4 years down the line "hi, I've got some 7-8 year old second hand cranks, want to warranty them?
"Hi, I bought a set of SAINT cranks. For reasons I can't explain, they blew up. Can I get an RA number?"

Write it on the box and send it in.
Wait 1-2 weeks.
New cranks.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Rb said:

Every Saint product I've sent in for warranty (using the term 'warranty' very loosely) was replaced promptly with a brand-new-in-box equal -- no questions asked. If that's not standing behind your engineering 100% and offering end-user support, I'm not sure what is.....
I have never warrantied Saint Cranks....I started riding the Saints when they came out in 2003 or 2004....Pro is still riding them on the bike I sold to him....they are still going on the second bottom bracket. The Saints are easier to set up and lighter too. Personally I have never had a problem or any of the locals either (pretty much everyone rides the Saint cranks in our area) They are bomb proof.....and these guys are dropping 8-10 times of 3 to 5 footers along with the bigger 12 footers, 14 footer, 27 footer every run and they do about 8 runs a weekend...so this is very demanding terrain without cranks failing....

IMO the Saint Cranks are the best and the 09' are stronger and lighter

As far as the trade....look for 2 things....bottom braket...is it smooth turning or does it have some grinding or spins freely (replace) and check screws to make sure they are not stripped on non drive side arm

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
If you hit your cranks on the ground a lot, the Deity (or any bmx style cro mo cranks) will give you a little better clearance than the same size in an aluminum crank. Check the amount of material between pedal hole and the end of the crankarm.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
IMO the Saint Cranks are the best and the 09' are stronger and lighter

As far as the trade....look for 2 things....bottom braket...is it smooth turning or does it have some grinding or spins freely (replace) and check screws to make sure they are not stripped on non drive side arm
Can't run an 09 set because of the guide, (and I don't have the money for it). BB is not a problem, I already have one, and I have spare shimano crank bolts out the kazoo. (I assume they're the same as XT arm bolts.

I think the clearance will be about the same, I think I'm about even and I'll go for whichever is cheaper at this point

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
No doubt Saint cranks are very solid. Since you can run the Vendetta spider-free, that's one less thing that can go wrong.

Shimano warranty may be good, but Deity trumps them.

SMT... do your research. The Vendettas are lighter than the Saints. The old Deity cranks were a bit heavier than the old Saints.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.