Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. New member, 1st post. I've had this bike for about a year now. I'm the second owner and it's time I get around to the Saint derailleur issue that's come to light that I've been neglecting. It's a 1x9 I use as a park bike, freeride & DH. I know how to set up and adjust it, and it shifts pretty well when going from 1st to 8th gear, but depending on how much H I give it determines if it will go into 9th at all or not. Problem 1 is if I relax it enough to shift to 9th, it will take 3 clicks to get it to go back up to 8th when downshifting. Problem 2 is that when I am downshifting, the pull on the shifter is so heavy it feels like something's going to snap!! I know it's DH grade so I expected it to be heavier than my XC bike, but I didn't realize mine had issues until I rode a buddy's bike that has a Saint shifter and derailleur and his is noting like mine at all. Easy Peasy actually! So, I decided to start from the top and eliminate problems 1 by 1. First I cleaned the drivetrain, then put a new cable and housing on being careful of my routing and cinch points and until I connect it to the derailleur, it's smooth as butter, no tension. Finally I took the derailleur off and carefully cleaned each pivot point and even added some silicone thinking this would HAVE to do the trick, but still no dice..as if I hadn't done a thing to it. Need some ideas here!!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Just to clarify - is the issue at the large cog or the small cog. You never know how someone numbers their gears.
Is it heavy just at the problem shift or through the range?
If you move the derailleur by hand will it move through the gears easily or is it hard to move?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem starts at the small cog and it's difficult to shift up through the range (small to large). It moves smoothly by hand, no hangups..but it is a heavy spring so I expect more resistance than the XC bike.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Sounds more like the problem is with the shifter, not the derailleur, though it's difficult to say without seeing it. Try operating the shifter with no cable connected--it should operate smoothly both up and down. If it isn't, spray thin lube in and work the levers.

Follow Park's instructions on setting the limits and cable tension on derailleurs, just to be sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A long time since last post on this, but I installed an entire, brand new, Saint M820 drivetrain..EVERYTHING, and having the same issues. I even had a couple techs look at it..they're boggled as to why the shifting is "garbage." I guess it's just something I'll live with on this bike. Downshifting (going from smaller rear cogs to larger cogs) remains just as difficult. It's gotta be the bike..something with where/how the derailleur hanger mounts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.