Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i know saint parts are amazing, and i would love them on my bike.but i dont understand how and why their so great? if its the materials why doesnt any other company use them to make money. can anyone clarify for me

·
Registered
766 Posts
austinb89 said:
well i know saint parts are amazing, and i would love them on my bike.but i dont understand how and why their so great? if its the materials why doesnt any other company use them to make money. can anyone clarify for me
Well im no expert but there just really solidly built with good materials and design.

·
Yo Paseo El Scream
275 Posts
i have all the saint parts, i love them. I can't tell you exactly why they're so god dam great, but they are good. The brakes are just high performance, like the other shimano brakes. The cranks, are just beefy as a gorilla and are made of the hollowpoint or something. They are just all high performance, and very rigid and beefy. Other companies don't make products like them because it's expensive. Thats why the saint products are expensive.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Trickle down techknowlegy baby! HONE

Within another month or so you should be able to get the complete Hone line. Its the same thing only cheaper. Well...that, and is says, "Hone" instead of "Saint". Ok, so the vestigal thumb trigger on the dual controls may be fused to the main lever like on LX. Just take it off and no one will ever know!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
They're supar burley. Plus I'm sure some of the designs have been patented (which is why other people aren't duplicating it). Hollowpoint is a bike by Ironhorse... Not the technology... I think you mean Hollowtech-II. The cranks also use the external bottom bracket. Race Face has a few cranks using the external bb, Truvativ is supposed to coming out with a few new models using the exo bb in the near future. Rear derailleur bolts onto the axle rather than onto a derailleur hanger. I hate centerlock rotors, it's a stupid design, it just transfers more heat to the bearings in the hub. The brakes work well, despite being 2 piston hydros because the bodies are supar stiff. Dual control levers... Eh, they don't do much for me. The saint groupset is insanely heavy. Another thing is that with Shimano, if you want to use their stuff, you have to go all Shimano. Their rotors and hubs are all centerlock (though they do have the traditional 6-bolts adaptors available now). The brakes require you to use the dual control levers, which in turn means you have to run the shimano drivetrain. And if you wan't to use the rear derailleur, then you have to use their hub, axle, and brakes. Etc. Etc. Etc. Basically Shimano wants you to use just their stuff.

I'm more of a SRAM fan. As soon as funds permit, I'm going full SRAM, with their trigger shifters. SRAM derailleurs have stiffer return springs and they flop around less, also reducing chain slap. Plus 1:1 cable actuation ratio for their rear mechs.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
long_strange_ride said:
Within another month or so you should be able to get the complete Hone line. Its the same thing only cheaper. Well...that, and is says, "Hone" instead of "Saint". Ok, so the vestigal thumb trigger on the dual controls may be fused to the main lever like on LX. Just take it off and no one will ever know!
You can already get the complete Hone line, or atleast I can. Hone isn't quite the same as Saint. Hone isn't quite as strong or heavy, but yea, it's pretty damn close.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.