Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, it is time to upgrade the crankset on my Bullit. I have a square taper Turbine LP that has served my freeride/downhill addiction for years. I am thinking that I may as well go with the integrated BB style that Shimano or Race Face have to offer so It will be easy to setup and stiff for years to come. Even though my bike weighs 42 pounds, I don't want the heaviest cranks out there since I climb with the local XC'ers. I also like to switch out my pedals from flat to clip from time to time. Oh, and I weigh 205 and like to drop and jump.

So here is the question. Will the lighter XT setup keep me bend free like the little ol' Turbine LP has or should I just go Saint and forget that they weigh quite a bit more? I have also been eyeballing those sweet new FSA Gravity cranks but they are 'old school' ISIS - https://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=52&pid=198.

Thanks for any feedback you have for me...

·
Registered
10,034 Posts
stagnant said:
Okay, it is time to upgrade the crankset on my Bullit. I have a square taper Turbine LP that has served my freeride/downhill addiction for years. I am thinking that I may as well go with the integrated BB style that Shimano or Race Face have to offer so It will be easy to setup and stiff for years to come. Even though my bike weighs 42 pounds, I don't want the heaviest cranks out there since I climb with the local XC'ers. I also like to switch out my pedals from flat to clip from time to time. Oh, and I weigh 205 and like to drop and jump.

So here is the question. Will the lighter XT setup keep me bend free like the little ol' Turbine LP has or should I just go Saint and forget that they weigh quite a bit more? I have also been eyeballing those sweet new FSA Gravity cranks but they are 'old school' ISIS - https://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=52&pid=198.

Thanks for any feedback you have for me...

I have been very happy with my raceface diabolus crankset, but if shaving weight was a concern then:

1. I would be asking this question in the weight weenies forum ;)

2. consider the raceface atlas

As for the q if the XT would hold up, if your turbine lps have been ok for the past few years you will probably not have a problem with the new xt either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
006_007 said:
I have been very happy with my raceface diabolus crankset, but if shaving weight was a concern then:

1. I would be asking this question in the weight weenies forum ;)

2. consider the raceface atlas

As for the q if the XT would hold up, if your turbine lps have been ok for the past few years you will probably not have a problem with the new xt either.
Thanks for the input, Double-ooh. I have actually been perusing the weight weenies site and I think I am making this harder the more I think about it. I will reply with my 'final answer' when I make the purchase.

·
Registered
649 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
Truvativ a subsidiary of SRAM. Get yerslf a Giga Pipe bb & a Holzfeller crank set, done.
I second the Holzfeller recommendation! Strong, stiff and light (light enough for me anyway), haven't had a problem with mine, except for the BB. That's another story though!!! :mad:

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
mr plow said:
I second the Holzfeller recommendation! Strong, stiff and light (light enough for me anyway), haven't had a problem with mine, except for the BB. That's another story though!!! :mad:
My Hick Huckster buds have gone through a few Giga Pipes so I know they have had an issue or two w/them. Mines been solid.

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Don't know about ISIS being old school -- you can buy an X-type ISIS BB, and if you ever want to switch cranks an ISIS set would be much easier than, say, the Saint or Diabolous X-types. Go with Holzfeller no question. Which BB is your call (check out the new Truvativ Howitzer BB out for '06, might be worth looking into), but the Holzfellers are wicked stiff, and actually surprisingly light. I held my Holzfeller in one hand, and a Next LP and Stylo (had all three off and was comparing) and although you could tell the Holzfeller was heavier than the other two, it wan't by much, and that is the only one that I would do any serious hucking with. I'd go with those. If you can supply the rings, you can buy a Holzfeller Trials crankset for really cheap and just pull that bash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.