Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just recently switched from a SRAM X0 shifter/derailleur to a Saint 810 setup (after many years on SRAM). Reason for the switch was due to the new shadow technology in the derailleur, and the increased spring tension which I thought would cut down on drivetrain clatter. I'm running the short cage version on a DH bike with an 11-23 Ultegra cassette and a single 36T front chainring. Due to the close ratio cassette, I'm running the derailleur with the mode converter removed.

I'm having a problem with the chain tension in the highest gears of the cassette (smallest cogs). While in the lowest gear, chain tension is great, especially with the high spring tension in the new Saint derailleur. However in the smallest cog, the chain has no tension and almost sags in the middle as a result. This is causing excessive drivetrain clatter over rough terrain at speed while in high gears. I can't shorten the chain anymore than it is without it being too short. With the chain at its current length and on the largest cog, and the spring removed from my rear shock, at full bottom out the derailleur is stretched to its max, so removing another link from the chain is not possible.

Anyone know what the problem might be? It shifts great in any gear, so I'm pleased with that aspect, but I'm extremely disappointed in the amount of clatter coming from down there. Even in the lower gears where the chain tension is good I'm getting excessive noise when moving at speed over rough terrain. I'm not just being picky here either, it's really noisy!

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Freerider said:
I've just recently switched from a SRAM X0 shifter/derailleur to a Saint 810 setup (after many years on SRAM). Reason for the switch was due to the new shadow technology in the derailleur, and the increased spring tension which I thought would cut down on drivetrain clatter. I'm running the short cage version on a DH bike with an 11-23 Ultegra cassette and a single 36T front chainring. Due to the close ratio cassette, I'm running the derailleur with the mode converter removed.

I'm having a problem with the chain tension in the highest gears of the cassette (smallest cogs). While in the lowest gear, chain tension is great, especially with the high spring tension in the new Saint derailleur. However in the smallest cog, the chain has no tension and almost sags in the middle as a result. This is causing excessive drivetrain clatter over rough terrain at speed while in high gears. I can't shorten the chain anymore than it is without it being too short. With the chain at its current length and on the largest cog, and the spring removed from my rear shock, at full bottom out the derailleur is stretched to its max, so removing another link from the chain is not possible.

Anyone know what the problem might be? It shifts great in any gear, so I'm pleased with that aspect, but I'm extremely disappointed in the amount of clatter coming from down there. Even in the lower gears where the chain tension is good I'm getting excessive noise when moving at speed over rough terrain. I'm not just being picky here either, it's really noisy!

Thanks in advance for the help!
No way to avoid chain slap on the small cogs when using a derailleur.
Wrap the swingarm with an old inner tube to damp the noise.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I realize that there will be some noise, and I do have my chainstay (& seatstay) wrapped in a tube with a chainstay protector around that. However, I seem to be getting excessive clatter (alot more than I used to get with my old X0 derailleur which had a much weaker spring), and like I said before, when in the smallest cog, the chain has so little tension that it sags, which to me isn't right.

Anymore advice?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Freerider said:
Yes, I realize that there will be some noise, and I do have my chainstay (& seatstay) wrapped in a tube with a chainstay protector around that. However, I seem to be getting excessive clatter (alot more than I used to get with my old X0 derailleur which had a much weaker spring), and like I said before, when in the smallest cog, the chain has so little tension that it sags, which to me isn't right.

Anymore advice?

Thanks.
Put the XO back on.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I assume you have shortened the chain in a correct way, with the suspension fully compressed with the big-big method. If you are getting slack chain anyway, then it means that your derailleur may have the cage too short. Probably your bike has a significant amount of chain growth, thus it requires medium cage mech.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shiggy said:
Put the XO back on.
Thanks :(. However, the X0 is dead, and I just spent $150 on the Saint, which is supposed to have increased spring tension, thus reducing drivetrain clatter (hence why I bought it in the first place).

Anyone else experience anything similar with their new Saint?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
uzurpator said:
I assume you have shortened the chain in a correct way, with the suspension fully compressed with the big-big method. If you are getting slack chain anyway, then it means that your derailleur may have the cage too short. Probably your bike has a significant amount of chain growth, thus it requires medium cage mech.
I shortened the chain by putting it on the largest cog (only a single ring on the front), I removed the spring from my rear shock, then cycled the suspension to full bottom out. I made the chain as short as possible so that the derailleur is almost completely stretched out at full bottom out. If I remove even one more link, then it would break the derailleur/hanger at full bottom out.

As far as the cage length goes, I was running a short cage on my X0 with no problems, and on a DH bike with 36T front ring and close ratio cassette I would think that this is what a short cage Saint derailleur is made for. Frame is an '08 Devinci Wilson by the way, horst link suspension design so I don't think it has excessive chain growth.

Could this have something to do with removing the mode converter (for the close ratio cassette)? Would chain tension be increased in higher gears with the mode converter back in?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Does the tension wheel of the Saint have less effective forward / aft travel than the XO ? If the Saint has a stronger spring than the XO, than the only thing I can think of is that in the smallest cog, the cage / tension wheel does not move aft as much as on the XO (or doesn't move as far forward on the largest cog). This can be an effect of cage length being too small, or just it's range of fore / aft motion is limited.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The mode converter might have caused this, but that is unlikely. Besides this is pathological case. With just 12T of used capacity the amount of needed chain growth would be enormous.

Can you take out the slack with b-tension?

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
I had a similar issue with mine ( with the mode converter installed) make sure the stop is the right position ( the small lever that rests on the hanger) since the gold link swivels the stop can be out of position

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/blevel.jsp;jsessionid=jXb1MVKNnJ7GsLDFVyrY6TLmwv1bT9sQmBc4tqpn9NTqPMGSkL2j!2105742464?ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181679&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302051860&bmUID=iDELHnL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts