Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
≈ > ♥
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like my King HD setup, except for one thing... it's not compatible with the Saint rear derailleurs I like to run.

At least, it wasn't...

I got bored, and made them have sex.

And it was beautiful. :)

Solid, and not heavy.

recipe:

-Take one King HD w/Funbolt setup. Toss driveside Funbolt into a spare parts bin, in case you lose the other one in the future.
-Add one Saint M801 standard-rise, slightly tinkered with.
-Sprinkle lovingly with Ti6Al4V, CNC'd to perfection.
-Install, and get dirty.

No mods to hub/axle.
Slight work done to derailleur, and it's reversable if wanting to swap back in the future.
Ti is sexy.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Nice looking job.

Any ideas on what would happen when you put another significant scratch on the dérailleur? The Saint RD was originally held on by a steel throu-axle skewer supported by the hub and both dropouts, so the weak link is the aluminium threads in the RD knuckle. Now it is held on my a Ti bolt that threads into the CK hub's aluminium threads, it would be a shame it that became the weak link. Is the Ti bolt was notched as a break-away weak link (like the after market Al dérailleur bolts of old), but then that may defeat one of the attributes of the Saint RD mech, which can survive significant "scratches" and stay functional. I'd be interested in hearing how it holds up.

·
≈ > ♥
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took that into consideration; would be a shame (and expensive!) to ruin a CK axle.

Interface on the bolt is tight in the frame dropout, a true 10mm. Any torsional loads from a decent smack on the derailleur go directly into the frame dropouts, similar to the stock Saint setup. It doesn't load the hub torsionally any worse than the standard bolts do when you plow your wheel through rocks/roots, or land a jump sideways or off-camber.

This is my second itteration of a mount similar to this. First one was both solid steel and Ti, heavy, and made to see what part would break first... majority of the scratches and dents on that derailleur is from that setup.
I have no worries about bouncing it off granite at speed.

Will ride the piss out of it, and keep this updated.
We'll see how it holds up, I guess...

·
≈ > ♥
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holding up well.

Zero issues so far, and it has been kissing granite outcroppings and boulders at speed. No need to make any adjustments to derailleur at all.
Solid.

A friend had been having issues with his Chumba Evo. Rear is a bit out of allignment (or something?) and he's been going through derailleur hangers like crazy. Chumba keeps shipping him new ones for free, and they keep breaking. Even their newly designed one lasted half a ride... cost him last race, too. Unhappy camper, to say the least.

Set him up, and is now solid.
He's stoked about not dealing with crappy hangers anymore.

·
≈ > ♥
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought I'd throw an update out there... Still holding up beautifully, after taking awesome beatings. Rocks, granite outcroppings, and logs, at speed, have done nothing to faze it.

Happy it's held up so well.

Just started rigging something else up, too, to fix something that's been bugging me...

Pics soon.

·
1,113 Posts
Nice job! You have put that saint through some abuse.

Dont know if it would help. Looks like it may work on your setup.
Look like it may be possible to also add your own hanger banger to make it more bulletproof. (also prevent breaking the king axle)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.