Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alrighty...can someone explain chain line to me???

I got a parker 1...with the stock shimano 3 ring cranks...i was able to convert it to a 2x9 and put a e.13 chain guide and bashgaurd that came off a parker II...works just fine...

Now...i have some saint cranks that i'd like to swap onto the parker...after much installing and removing and figuring out that i cannot use the stock 22T inner chainring because it wasn't made for the external bottom bracket cups, i'm running into another problem. Now, i have only 1 spacer, on the drive side, and the non drive arm goes on and everything fits as it should, except, now the middle ring is a lot further inboard, and the drive side crank arm is hitting/rubbing the chain guide...

I think i can remove a spacer on the chainguide, then adjust the fron derailuer to operate more inwards...but is this the correct thing to do?Will this have any adverse affects?

I'd really like to use the cranks, as they're practically brand new.

I've read that parkers have a 48mm chainline...what does this mean? does it mean i cannot use the saint cranks? if not, can anyone recomend some cranks? i'd like to stay 2x9, and keep the e.13 chainguide and bashguard.

·
Former Ninja
427 Posts
New Saint cranks or Old Saint cranks? Which dual ring guide do you have? Is it being installed via BB mount or the ISCG-05 tabs on the frame?

With a 73mm Bottom Bracket shell size, the Saints should have 2.5mm of BB spacers on the driveside and none on the non-driveside. If installing a dual ring guide via ISCG-05 tabs, you should need the BLACK 2.5mm BB spacers under the backplate to space it out 2.5mm.

Additionally, the Saints use a super huge crank arm, so the ridge on the DRS/DSS needs to be removed to clear the crankarm...you should know what I'm talking about. Take it down to about flush, or when you stop getting contact.

You should still be able to use the 22T ring.

I'd also suggest snapping a picture or two of your setup if you still have issues.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

The inner chainring didn't fit. The tabs for the mount bolts couldn't fit around the bottom bracket. I got the correct granny gear and it works. But what I did was remove one of the spacers for the chianguide. But if you, from e.13, say that it's ok to grind away the ridge, then I may do just that and put the spacer back on.

I'll get some pics up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just because i hate unresolved threads...

pic 1 shows 1 spacer on drive side
pic 2 shows the chain guide mounted without spacer for the guide...that last plate was cut and ground down like that when I got it...
pic 3 the spacer that was removed
pic 4 shows the ridge lined up with bashgaurd
pic 5 all mounted up...

didn't have to mess with the front derailuer too much...and everything shifts and runs just fine...

I think I'm going to leave it like this, unless someone can tell me why I shouldn't

what I don't understand is:
in past threads, it was said the Parker's chainline is 48mm...the shimano saint cranks and bb would produce a chainline of 50mm...but the hollowtech cranks and bb the parker i comes with is more than the saints...like 52-53mm...why would they spec a 118mm bb, when a 113mm spindle would have produced something closed to what they say the frame calls for...

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts