Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of upgrading to Saint cranks but I can't find online what my frames bb width is. I have a 2009 GT Peace 9er Multi. So far the cranks I've found are I believe 68MM to 73MM (moutain bike store sites), however there is some confusion because on ebay several sellers have the cranks advertised as having a 83MM bb. (maybe someone could shed some light on this for me)

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
jeffgothro said:
I'm thinking of upgrading to Saint cranks but I can't find online what my frames bb width is. I have a 2009 GT Peace 9er Multi. So far the cranks I've found are I believe 68MM to 73MM (moutain bike store sites), however there is some confusion because on ebay several sellers have the cranks advertised as having a 83MM bb. (maybe someone could shed some light on this for me)
They come in two versions - a 68/73 and an 83mm. The 83mm is for 150mm rear hubs.

The 68/73mm version will be fine on your Peace, but why do you want such a burly crank?

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TheSingleGuy said:
They come in two versions - a 68/73 and an 83mm. The 83mm is for 150mm rear hubs.

The 68/73mm version will be fine on your Peace, but why do you want such a burly crank?
Thanks! Hmmm...no real legit reason other than I just like really well made durable stuff. I guess part of that comes from my bmx days (when I used to break stuff), if it wasn't big or burly I would break it.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
The current Saint cranks look pretty cool too, and Saint BB cups have longer threaded sections than most others. Don't ask why I think that is a good idea...

They are a little heavier than SLX, for example, but not nearly as heavy as the first generation Saints.

·
Slow and steady
503 Posts
The new Saint cranks are pure awesome and really a negligible weight increase over XT for "double" the stiffness and dramatically increased fatigue life. I love mine in 22x36. I do wish that the non-drive cups had more thread on them though.

·
Classic weekend warrior
222 Posts
Quick question guys..

If you take the bash guards and chain rings off the Saint M810 and M770 XT Cranks... is the Saint heavier or lighter? I'm reading mixed reviews...

For instance... here they're claiming 150g savings over the XT :eek:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27685

Any truth to this? I wouldn't mind spending $180 on a crank that's 150g's lighter than the XT... even if I could sell the chainrings off the XT to recoup some money... seems like the benefit is still there (FYI, i have my bike set up more for AM than XC.. not a weight weenie... just like strong/light stuff)

·
Classic weekend warrior
222 Posts
ah damn... that makes more sense.

lol in that case... does anyone have any idea how much heavier the crank arms & bottom bracket are vs the xt?

Edit: eh, why split hairs. I'm just going to get the SLX.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
You don't buy anything from the Saint line because it is particularly light ;)

You buy it because it is strong and suits the color of your stem :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts