Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeing lots of ads on these brakes for cheap (like 100 bucks a unit). I'm aware these are sold without a lever but I dunno 'bout the hoses.

How much are a old XT lever and hoses if needed??
Can the Saint be used on other rotors (like avíd mech 160)??
How good or bad are these brakes??

One last question... anyone know why some shitmano rotors can't be used with sintered pads??

·
Administrator
12,439 Posts
The saint brakes are the same calipers as the XT just look different. I am under the assumption that just like the other shimanno brakes they do not come with hoses.

They can be used with any shimanno hydro lever including the super cheap deore hydro lever.

They come with the rotors that only fit the saint centerlock hubs, but I suspect that since they are xt's they could use the 160mm adapter to fit up to 160 rotors. I Have seen the saints running on hayyes 203 rotors and hubs. I have also seen the xts running on crossmaxx wheels with 160mm rotors. Ditto XTRs I suspect that you could do all that no problem with the saints.

·
"El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was asking about the sintered pads 'cause looking for a replacement rotor for my Avid Mechs I found some Shimano Deore rotors (plus the one I have from a non-used mech Deore) and the newer Deore rotors have a HUGE inscription stating "RESIN PADS ONLY" and I was wondering it had to deal more with the use of the rotors with hydros than the material itself... but who knows... Another thing is that Shimano rotors (Deore) have small and few drillings opposite to Avid/Hayes/Formula and any other brake using sintered pads... so I am assuming sintered need more drilling in order to dissipate heat or to get proper pad wear.

I'll make some "calculations" to see if a lever/brake/hose from Shimano cost less or equal than say a Hayes or Magura Julie unit. I'd like to go hydro... more on upgradeitis than real need as I have a pair of happy Avid mechs... another option for me is to upgrade to 7" rotors... but that's close to 100 bucks (which is the cost of a hydro unit).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.