Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new front brake and ive heard great things about the saint brakes it looks like i have to run saint hubs so i can get the rotors to fit? I have an 8 inch hayes rotor, will it work with that? I think im just confused......whats the low down?

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Can't use a Hayes rotor I don't think but Shimano makes standard 6-bolt rotors in addition to the center-locks so you can use them with whatever disc hub you want. Just be sure to specify that in your order.

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
when i purchased my saint brakes from universal they came with both 6 bolt and centerlock rotors. shimano makes both. i'm using mine on outlaws.

you can use hayes rotors with saint brakes. i purchased 203mm rotors for both front and rear. the fit of the 203mm was marginal on my rear brake, so i fit a hayes 160mm and it works fine.

the trick is: shimano brakes have a slightly narower pad width, so you cannot use shimano rotors with many other brakes, as it will groove the pads. you can however use shimano brakes with other brands of rotors, the pads will simply contact a slightly narower width of the rotors.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
DHidiot said:
Can't use a Hayes rotor I don't think
You can. I did it for a year.

DHidiot said:
but Shimano makes standard 6-bolt rotors in addition to the center-locks so you can use them with whatever disc hub you want. Just be sure to specify that in your order.
True.

They sell both.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
You can use Hayes rotors just fine with Saint brakes just fine. Just don't use Saint rotors with other brakes. The blade (braking path) is too narrow and causes the pad to ride on the arms, leading to uneven pad wear and all sorts of other problems.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
I've also used shimano rotors with hayes brakes and they worked fine.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Initially, they will work fine. It's later on down the line you'll notice the problems.
Except that I didn't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.