Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for new platform pedals. I walk in the door & the sales staff pounces on me. They lead me over to a rack with a few choices of cheap plastic things that are not what I'm looking for. I ask to see the 'good ones' in the case up front. I say "I need something a little more 'grabby'. Something that'll tear the **** outa my shins."

Of course the most expensive model comes out first. Very light but doesn't look like what I'm after. I scoff at the $50 price tag as well.

Says the sales dude "well, the more you spend the more grip you're gonna have."

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
Ha!

I was looking for some nice knobbies one fall because my smooth hardpack tires kept slipping on the leaves all over my local park. The salesman didn't have anything good in stock, so he suggested--in all seriousness--that I rake the leaves instead. Our local park has about 22 miles of trail, and it was all covered in leaves. I wished I had a rake just to smack the idiot with.

Needless to say, I walked out, went home, and ordered from Jenson.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
As I outlined in another forum, I got sort of that treatment from an LBS in the German city I moved to recently. Myself and my gf walked in to ask about the local trails we know for a fact exist, but don't know exactly where and they panicked and looked at one another for body language then fed us the BS lines about how there is no MTB in that city at all, despite the fact they had bikes on the floor with Fox 36's that looked like mtb's to me.

We needed some commuting bikes and a place for parts, so it's back to mail order and another shop. It's hard to continue telling people to support LBS's when too many (though not the majority) pull acts of unprofessional behavior time and time again.

·
I am a pathetic rider...
644 Posts
I also have a funny LBS story. I lost the H spring to my BB7 calipers while cleaning them, and I went to my LBS to pick up a 10 pack of them, as opposed to buying new pads. So I go to my shop (rode my bike there btw) and ask them if they have any BB7 H Springs, the wrench proceeds to take my bike, and press down on the fork muttering "H spring, Hspring " :eek: I promptly walked past to the wall of parts behind him and got the H Springs I needed.

G

·
tlg said:
Now that's funny! Stupid... but funny.

I think he was trying to sell you this accessory.
i'm sure that there was a titanium one (the last one in the shop) for $550.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
f3rg said:
Ha!

I was looking for some nice knobbies one fall because my smooth hardpack tires kept slipping on the leaves all over my local park. The salesman didn't have anything good in stock, so he suggested--in all seriousness--that I rake the leaves instead. Our local park has about 22 miles of trail, and it was all covered in leaves. I wished I had a rake just to smack the idiot with.

Needless to say, I walked out, went home, and ordered from Jenson.
That is SO FUNNY!!! Reminds me of this time I went into an LBS asking for sunglasses that I could see better in the woods with than the ones I had recentley bought from them. He suggested I ride slower.

·
Rider Owned
3 Posts
Hey, if you're going to go old school, either go for the crupis or some brookyln shiburgers.

Believe me, I've lost some major leg meat thanks to the pair of shinburgers I used to run on my r9.

But my honest opinion on new platform pedals is, if you can throw down the cash, go for twenty6's rallye pedals. the new version is ridiculously light and you can change out the pin pattern for a different grip, whatever suits you best.

- Tim from Ride-This

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Ride-This.com said:
Hey, if you're going to go old school, either go for the crupis or some brookyln shiburgers.

Believe me, I've lost some major leg meat thanks to the pair of shinburgers I used to run on my r9.

But my honest opinion on new platform pedals is, if you can throw down the cash, go for twenty6's rallye pedals. the new version is ridiculously light and you can change out the pin pattern for a different grip, whatever suits you best.

- Tim from Ride-This
I just remembered this thread about you guys:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=348938&highlight=ride-this+ebay

·
Rider Owned
3 Posts
Though I doubt it gives many people satisfaction, there are reasons behind the period of time where we were racking up negative feedback through our ebay store.

We had an email account that was getting a good portion of the buyer emails, but in addition to that, buyers were sending messages through the ebay website, which was not forwarding to that email address. Needless to say, there were plenty of people that purchased items or made price match offers that we had no idea we were getting emails from. On top of that, there were customers that would go between both of those methods of communication and conversations that started off well would quickly deteriorate, with replies not being issued until that cache of messages was found.

I know that doesn't fully explain all of the issues listed on that thread, including the e13 guide bolt problem, which we found out about after sending out that order. You'll notice that the ride-this ebay store is no longer up, and that came mostly as a result of the huge loss in feedback thanks to those email problems. Frankly, ebay isn't our cup of tea to say the least, especially with the removal of seller feeback and the change over to a feedback system where neutrals are counted as negatives.

You can fish around for multiple threads and reviews that give testament to the fact that we, as a company and through our website or our lbs location, do our best to offer any part a rider wants at the best price we can, and always with customer service and honest advice. here are a couple:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/dj-mtnx/black-market/riot-frame/PRD_417421_1575crx.aspx

http://forums.mtbr.com/archive/index.php/t-201382.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/archive/index.php/t-338459.html

To all those that had to deal with ridiculous ship times in that period, we sincerely apologize. I hope that your judgments of ride-this.com as a company aren't hurt by our problems with our old ebay store and that we can provide you with excellent customer service in the future. It is something that all of us here at the shop feel was an incredible mistake on our part and we fully take that responsibility on our shoulders.

- Tim from ride-this

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
tlg said:
Now that's funny! Stupid... but funny.

I think he was trying to sell you this accessory.
Carbon shaft, Ti prongs, of course. ;)

The guy still works at that shop, too. Every time I go in there (which isn't much) and see him, I just roll my eyes and wonder how in the world he's kept that job for so many years.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Ride-This.com said:
Though I doubt it gives many people satisfaction, there are reasons behind the period of time where we were racking up negative feedback through our ebay store.

We had an email account that was getting a good portion of the buyer emails, but in addition to that, buyers were sending messages through the ebay website, which was not forwarding to that email address. Needless to say, there were plenty of people that purchased items or made price match offers that we had no idea we were getting emails from. On top of that, there were customers that would go between both of those methods of communication and conversations that started off well would quickly deteriorate, with replies not being issued until that cache of messages was found.

I know that doesn't fully explain all of the issues listed on that thread, including the e13 guide bolt problem, which we found out about after sending out that order. You'll notice that the ride-this ebay store is no longer up, and that came mostly as a result of the huge loss in feedback thanks to those email problems. Frankly, ebay isn't our cup of tea to say the least, especially with the removal of seller feeback and the change over to a feedback system where neutrals are counted as negatives.

You can fish around for multiple threads and reviews that give testament to the fact that we, as a company and through our website or our lbs location, do our best to offer any part a rider wants at the best price we can, and always with customer service and honest advice. here are a couple:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/dj-mtnx/black-market/riot-frame/PRD_417421_1575crx.aspx

http://forums.mtbr.com/archive/index.php/t-201382.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/archive/index.php/t-338459.html

To all those that had to deal with ridiculous ship times in that period, we sincerely apologize. I hope that your judgments of ride-this.com as a company aren't hurt by our problems with our old ebay store and that we can provide you with excellent customer service in the future. It is something that all of us here at the shop feel was an incredible mistake on our part and we fully take that responsibility on our shoulders.

- Tim from ride-this
Fair enough. I wish you the best in the future.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.