Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
let freedom ring!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Reign back from my LBS, It only took fox 4 weeks to return my rear shock to me. I put a new fork on it Marz Z1 FR Sl. It says that 25-30% sag is ideal for the front fork. I understand how to set the sag, but I am just curious why you need sag on suspension, What happens if you run to much sag, or not enough/ none at all? Is the amount of sag more of a personal preference thing? Just curious..............Any other setup insights would be helpful also. I am pretty new to this stuff so be gentle.

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
Get Lost said:
I just got my Reign back from my LBS, It only took fox 4 weeks to return my rear shock to me. I put a new fork on it Marz Z1 FR Sl. It says that 25-30% sag is ideal for the front fork. I understand how to set the sag, but I am just curious why you need sag on suspension, What happens if you run to much sag, or not enough/ none at all? Is the amount of sag more of a personal preference thing? Just curious..............Any other setup insights would be helpful also. I am pretty new to this stuff so be gentle.
Sag is to give you more tracking via negative travel, keeps the wheel glued to the ground. Not enough sag, may be rougher over small bumps, track not so great. Too much, dunno, bottom out more maybe, not take the square hits or high speed hits well.. Sag isn't really a preference, but rather a starting point to dial in the rest of the adjustments on the fork or shock, compression, rebound, ect... but sag should be in the 30-40% range for a DH bike, depending on the bike, and 20-30% for freeride, depending on the bike.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Yeah baby! I used to run my DH at 30-35 sag, it s*cked. I started running 40 a few weeks ago, WOW what a difference. Bike floats over bumpy sections and handles much, much better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.