Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
let freedom ring!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my bike back from my LBS. It only took fox 4 weeks to return my rear shock to me. I put a new fork on it Marz Z1 FR Sl. It says that 25-30% sag is ideal for the front fork. I understand how to set the sag, but I am just curious why you need sag on suspension, What happens if you run to much sag, or not enough/ none at all? Is the amount of sag more of a personal preference thing? Just curious..............Any other setup insights would be helpful also.

Warren

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Get Lost said:
I just got my bike back from my LBS. It only took fox 4 weeks to return my rear shock to me. I put a new fork on it Marz Z1 FR Sl. It says that 25-30% sag is ideal for the front fork. I understand how to set the sag, but I am just curious why you need sag on suspension, What happens if you run to much sag, or not enough/ none at all? Is the amount of sag more of a personal preference thing? Just curious..............Any other setup insights would be helpful also.

Warren
the sag is recomended for best results. if you didnt have sag then the suspension would be too stiff. the setting varies because some people like a stiffer suspension and some like a softer or more plush suspension. there is not really too much or too little sag up to a point. too much sag and the shock will bottom out , possibly breaking. too little sag and the ride will be too harsh (think lock out)
start off with the recommended settings, check the sag adjust if needed. go for a ride. I'm not familiar with your fork but if it has a rebound setting and /or pro pedal . do those one at a time and small adjustments. It will take several rides to dial it in but its worth it

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
Sag does have to do with personal preference and functionality of how the fork/shock works. If you have to much sag you run the risk of bottoming out to easy and the suspension feeling sloppy. Not enough and the fork can feel to stiff and harsh, and will not use it's whole stroke. Preference depends on your riding style if its cross country or more trail/all mountain, usually for x country people run less sag (15-20%) for a more efficient precise ride. Where trail/AM like more sag (20-30%) especial on the rear shock, so it lowers the rear end and puts you more into a attack position. And also if you run no sag on a lot of front forks you get a harsh top out. Those are very general answers, and not always true for every person and every situation, but true for the norm.

·
1946:2006:2066
1,458 Posts
positive travel vs negative travel

Positive travel occurs when you hit a bump and the suspension compresses.
Negative travel occurs when you hit a dip or hole and the suspension extends.
Without sag you have no negative travel and the suspension cannot track dips in the trail.
The amount of sag (negative travel) is personal preference for most suspension platforms,
with the exception of a limited few designs that require near perfect sag for them to work.
VPP is one. Then there's the NRS which requires zero sag in the rear.

Simply put, without sag, you are only half suspended.
How much is up to you and the suspension design.

michael

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
FireDog46 said:
Positive travel occurs when you hit a bump and the suspension compresses.
Negative travel occurs when you hit a dip or hole and the suspension extends.
Without sag you have no negative travel and the suspension cannot track dips in the trail.
The amount of sag (negative travel) is personal preference for most suspension platforms,
with the exception of a limited few designs that require near perfect sag for them to work.
VPP is one. Then there's the NRS which requires zero sag in the rear.

Simply put, without sag, you are only half suspended.
How much is up to you and the suspension design.

michael
FireDog nailed it pretty well.

The more sag you've got, the better traction you have. The downside is, too much sag and your ride is too soft and pedaling uphill is very taxing, plus your suspension doesn't have enough positive travel left to soak up the really big stuff. It's all in the compromise and with time you'll know exactly where that optimal point is for you.

_MK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.