Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
You have to ride and try it on a case by case basis. On some forks LSC affects overall compression[ not just LSC] more than others. In the same way some forks are more progressive and so less sag has more affect than on other forks.
Pick a suitable piece of trail and do back to back runs.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what I was also thinking. More sag for a plusher ride and more LSC for less brake dive & pedal bobbing.
And let me also add that i would probably choose a faster rebound as well, so the fork and shock will both ride in the higher part of their travel were they are plusher.

Anyway these are just theoretical so I will test them and come back.

·
Registered
12,178 Posts
Both have to be right for the application. The same rider on different terrain at different speeds will have a different ideal setup.

Spring rate sets the natural frequency and the initial feel (wallow vs harsh).
Low speed compression is about controlling chassis/body movements and to a lesser extent keeping the suspension up.
High speed compression is about taking out the bigger impacts.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi.

What do you think is better for a plusher but controled ride, more sag and more low speed compression or less sag and less low speed compression?
Neither. See Dougal's comment. Always start with spring setup. If you don't have lsc adjustment, small spring/sag adjustments can be used to a certain extent. Softer spring and lsc typically provide a plusher ride, but control/stability will be sacrificed.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why do you say neither? Dougal also mentions the following:

"Spring rate sets the natural frequency and the initial feel (wallow vs harsh).
Low speed compression is about controlling chassis/body movements and to a lesser extent keeping the suspension up."

So more sag and more LSC seems to be closer to what I want which BTW I tried shortly today and seem to work OK but I need more time in order to decide.

·
Registered
12,178 Posts
Why do you say neither? Dougal also mentions the following:

"Spring rate sets the natural frequency and the initial feel (wallow vs harsh).
Low speed compression is about controlling chassis/body movements and to a lesser extent keeping the suspension up."

So more sag and more LSC seems to be closer to what I want which BTW I tried shortly today and seem to work OK but I need more time in order to decide.
Get a little note-book, write down each setting you try and how you like it. It's free to try and the pay off is huge when you find the setup that works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.