Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. After my last go at geometry measurements and sag I had a weird observation. I noticed for my less than perfect pedaling (pretty choppy, up and down instead of circles) that my x5 actually bobs less when sagged out to closer to 30%. This is contrary to any other fs frameset I have ridden. Am I on crack or does the Ventana rear end actually settle into a sweet spot between 25-30% sag :crazy: :eek:ut:

·
Registered
761 Posts
I find that the bike rides best at 30% myself....

...My Salty in 5" mode (5" rear/4" front) loves more sag. I believe if you asked Sherwood he'd suggest 30% sag ( I think he told me that's his preference but my memory tends to be on the reconstructive side so I'll restrain my certitudinous penchants :)).

In general, I find that most unwanted bobbing is not eliminated by extra pressure in a shock, but rather a better balance between front and rear. When cetain equilibrium is reached such that compression and rebound from front to rear work in properly timed succession, I find no bobbing on either end, the bike floats over bumps, and bobbing is all but imperceptible. I can achieve this with some remarkably high sag numbers and, given the Ventana's resistance to bottoming and the ability to dial in my Pushed F100, I don't fear bottoming too often.

Feel the gin

dscot420 said:
Hi all. After my last go at geometry measurements and sag I had a weird observation. I noticed for my less than perfect pedaling (pretty choppy, up and down instead of circles) that my x5 actually bobs less when sagged out to closer to 30%. This is contrary to any other fs frameset I have ridden. Am I on crack or does the Ventana rear end actually settle into a sweet spot between 25-30% sag :crazy: :eek:ut:

·
Not dead yet, just playin
910 Posts
I set my 4" Salty at 30% sag and feel that it works best there. On a lark I did do a couple of rides at almost 45% sag and didn't notice bobbing. Surprisingly, even at 45% sag I didn't bottom out the shock. However, 45% threw the geometry all out of whack so I wouldn't recommend it :)

op

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
You're on crack.
:)
Nah, as much as I hate to say this, but I agree with the Turtle. 30% works really well. After seeing how happy he was at Mammoth with his setup I increased my sag from 25% to 30% on both La Bruja and my Salty and the bikes feel REALLY dialed in at that setting.

-A

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.