Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
[SUB]
This is my first time posting here, [/SUB]and I apologise if I have posted this question in the wrong section - please point me in the right direction.

I've been using a Repco Sport bike trailer for my son, which works well. But now his head (with helmet on) goes above the line marked "Maximum Height. Top of head (with helmet) must not exceed this line". In fact, his head (with helmet on) is about 4-5 cm above that line!

However, he still fits comfortably in the trailer, and his helmet is not touching the top of the trailer when the flap is closed.

My question is: How seriously should I take this manufacturer warning? How dangerous is it to use a child trailer when they exceed the specified height limit? It is clearly not a weight issue because the maximum weight for the trailer is 45 kgs (it is a two child trailer).

I just can't see why it would be more dangerous to continue using this trailer, as compared to using a tag-along or a sit down trailer without any frame around it (eg Weehoo i-Go Pro Trailer Cycle | Two Wheeling Tots). The alternative for us is to get a tag-along, as larger trailers are too expensive.

Any thoughts much appreciated on whether it would be safer to get a tag-along or continue using our existing trailer!

Thanks very much,
Loz

·
Registered
542 Posts
Try turning the trailer upside down with him in it, like it would be after a crash. Happened to my daughter thanks to a curb clip. When upside down, I bet the trailer deforms, and his head will be hitting the ground now. With those fabric seats, gravity in the other direction will change things quite a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try turning the trailer upside down with him in it, like it would be after a crash. Happened to my daughter thanks to a curb clip. When upside down, I bet the trailer deforms, and his head will be hitting the ground now. With those fabric seats, gravity in the other direction will change things quite a bit.
Thanks a lot for your reply, evandy. I understand the rollover risk - do you think a tagalong would have the same risk? And presumably if a tagalong was to tip over, the injury to my son would be much greater than if he was to tip over in the trailer? Even though his head goes above the designated line in the trailer, his head is still within the trailer itself - whereas on a tagalong, he has no external protection at all!

Please let me know if you think a tagalong is safer than a trailer which has been outgrown? Or should I go for a larger trailer?

Thanks again,
Loz

·
Registered
542 Posts
Personal opinion at this point... I know others feel differently.

To me, the benefit of a tagalong (or their own bike) is that in the event of a crash, they will not have the weight of the trailer shoving their head into the ground. If I were to keep up with a trailer, I'd probably get a bigger one.

That said, I never liked my trailer (admittedly, a cheap InStep), and upgraded to another solution alltogether: a cargo bike. I ended up with a longtail Surly Big Dummy:
Product Human body Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle

There are other longtail options too... everything from an Xtracycle Free Radical, which converts your own bike to a longtail, the Yuba bikes, and the Kona MinUte mid-tail which I've heard some great things about:

But, there are some other great cargo options...
A Bakfiets:

A Madsen:

Of course, the other traditional option is just a rear seat on a normal bike. I really like the Yepp Maxi... I customized a Tubus rack so I can swap it back and forth between the Dummy and my Check. The seat has a nice large frame, and has been well rated throughout Europe (its native land) as great for safety.
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle accessory Bicycle

I'd go think outside the box... what can you keep using even when your kid isn't on it any more? The tagalong will give you many, many more years, which is great, but I liked the idea of a cargo bike which will still get me usefulness without any kids. I've used it for grocery runs (with kids), picking up big stuff on my way home from work, and all sorts of stuff. If that sounds interesting, go check out the cargo-bike forum on this site. You'll find about a million options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THanks so much Evandy for giving me those other options to think about - great food for thought! And thanks for pointing out that the weight of the trailer itself is an important issue - squashing down on the child if the trailer is upside down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.