Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have a safety guard around your front gears ? I had one, took it off, and then ripped my pants. So my question to you is. Do you have one or not ? if not how do you deal with your pants not ripping ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I have a bash guard on my P2, but not my trail bike.
There is not a whole lot I know of that will keep your pants out of the gears other than...

A - Just wear shorts.
B - Peg your pants.

I choose to just wear shorts.
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,395 Posts
Just a point of distinction in that some bikes come with a safety guard to keep your pants out of the chainrings, not to be compared to a bashguard to protect your chainrings from rocks/logs although both keep your pants out of the chainrings. I haven't worn pants riding a bike in over 20 years, but when I rode a bike to school I'd use a pant clip to keep them out of the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
Bashguard: yes
Pants: what the **** is your problem? lol

If you get one and make sure you get a bigger second ring or else the 32 you probably have won't have enough displacement.
 

·
EDR
Joined
·
10,584 Posts
Luigiugueto said:
If you get one and make sure you get a bigger second ring or else the 32 you probably have won't have enough displacement.
A subjective statement.

I ride 22-32-bash. Never have a need for 'more' middle gear. The type of riding I do and the terrain make the large ring completely useless and a 32 middle just fine.

As you can see from this gear ratio chart (thanks Sheldon Brown), that by dropping the 44T you only lose the top 2 actual gear ratios, all others can still be achieved with a 32-22 and a 11-34 cassette.

OP: find a rubber band ;)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
hmm that's pretty interesting. What I mean is, say i'm in the 9th gear rear (11t) and the large ring front (32 in this case front) I my cadence will drop really quickly (pedaling becomes useless or extremely unefficient). So I went and got a 36 tooth front. Difference is pretty noticeable. I can still go uphill with it and keep a good cadence while pedaling.
 

·
Advanced Slacker
Joined
·
15,410 Posts
IFCphoenix said:
Do you have a safety guard around your front gears ? I had one, took it off, and then ripped my pants. So my question to you is. Do you have one or not ? if not how do you deal with your pants not ripping ?
Only time pants are an issue is on the commuter bike. I use a bash on it just for that reason. Otherwise, a tie around my pantleg works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I just installed a Salsa Chainring Guard on my new Fuel EX8 which mounts either in place of the big ring or beside it (they give you bushings to space it from the ring). This is the unit that has "teeth" built into it to help you climb over the really high logs. Its a great unit and I've used them on all my bikes. Their web site states this unit can only be used in place of the upper ring but this info is old. Do a search for "Salsa Chainring Guard" and you will find a PDF from Salsa that describes how to mount it in parallel with the big ring. I got mine from BikeMan.com
 

·
Weekend Warrior
Joined
·
1,078 Posts
I got a 2x8 22/32/bash and 11-32 in the back. I never use the 11 and 12t in the back and i rarely get into the 22t in the front. I was even considering running a 1x9 but what size ring should i use in the front then? just the 32? I would love to find a 12x34 for the rear.

In regards to the gears. (If the Torque theory is correct), if you run a smaller gear in the front and smaller in the back you (theoretically) should have more torque than a larger gear in the front and a larger gear in the back... given they add up to the same amount of pedaling. I have noticed that (and maybe that is just me) when I had my 42T front on. Even though I shifted into an even ration (front to back) the large gear was always harder for me to pedal.

I was able to run 23mph with the large ring and 24.5mph max when i used the smaller 32t/11t combination.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
daleksic said:
In regards to the gears. (If the Torque theory is correct), if you run a smaller gear in the front and smaller in the back you (theoretically) should have more torque than a larger gear in the front and a larger gear in the back... given they add up to the same amount of pedaling. I have noticed that (and maybe that is just me) when I had my 42T front on. Even though I shifted into an even ration (front to back) the large gear was always harder for me to pedal.
smaller gear in the front = more torque, less displacement.
larger gear in the back = more torque, less displacement.
larger gear in the front = less torque, more displacement.
smaller gear in the rear = less torque, more displacement.

That's no theory, it's just how the **** goes.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top