Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Rollin' twenties.
1,635 Posts
you wear all that for dj and urban?
i can understand shoes or glove if your hands get sweaty but dang shingaurds and helmet?what kinda stuff are you riding? surly nothing as big as the jimmy levan sequence i am about to post

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I think that a helmet is a must. You always think you're in control until you lose control. It's cliche, but for a reason.

I like 661 products. And I'm supposed to be wearing/pushing them. I'm not real fond of their helmets though, too warm.

·
tuck-n-roll master
636 Posts
I'm the unsponsored posterboy for 661. Their stuff works and it's inexpensive when compared to other brands. Helmet is a no-brainer (sorry about that) and you'll want shinguards the first time your pedals ever taste raw flesh.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aggiebiker said:
you wear all that for dj and urban?
i can understand shoes or glove if your hands get sweaty but dang shingaurds and helmet?what kinda stuff are you riding? surly nothing as big as the jimmy levan sequence i am about to post
no i don't wear all that, all i have now is a helmet. just wondering what you guys do wear and which makes are good.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I always wear my lid!!! I paid WAY too much for my education to become a veg in a bed w/ tubes sticking out of my body.

Ya might wanna think about shin guards. (unless you like shins that look like this....) And yes the IS my Tibia. The missing piece of meat was hanging off of my pedal.

It's like I say for riding street bikes. (motorcycles)....Dont dress for the ride, dress for the crash

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ya know...it amazes me how guys wanna be gnar-core and rock w/o a lid.
You might think it's cool, but take it from someone in school studying to be an RN and who has seen it first hand, You dont look very cool with a cracked open skull, brain damage, and the inability to function.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cranberry said:
Ya know...it amazes me how guys wanna be gnar-core and rock w/o a lid.
You might think it's cool, but take it from someone in school studying to be an RN and who has seen it first hand, You dont look very cool with a cracked open skull, brain damage, and the inability to function.
ya, i just finished my first year of medical school and i couldn't agree with you more. i have a helmet for now, but the first things i'm looking to buy before i start trying more difficult things are shin guards and gloves.

·
Registered
136 Posts
well since no one else is postin there gear i have a pink bell fraction helmet, tse shingaurds, no fear combat gloves, and no clothes... they just wiegh you down.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I think you mean Bell Faction.

All helmets meet CPSC safety standards. I would suggest a skate-style helmet because it does provide more coverage than a cross country helmet. The downside is that they can get quite warm. I really like the Giro Xen. It offers the same back and side protection as a BMX helmet, but has the ventilation of a XC-style lid.

Shinguards: get something with a knee. It's worth it. The Fox shinguards with the x-up retention system works quite well. I also like the 661 offerings. Just make sure that the knee is articulate.

I've always liked the 661 Gracia gloves. I would not suggest buying Specialized gloves, they seem to wear through very very quickly; they are comfortable though.

Shoes: skate style or something with a flat sole. The Vans skate shoes with Off The Wall soles are awesome. DC, Etnies, Globe, etc. I liked my Vans Rowleys. There are mountain bike specific shoes, they typically have a sole that's slightly stiffer. The 5.10 Impact is a great shoe that offers amazing grip, not too much in the looks department though.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I am not riding anything without helmet and gloves. Last year, I was just riding along in a park (as normal people understand the word) and found myself on hands and knees on a wooden bridge with some sand on it. My shins still have the scars but the hands were protected.

Most people need their heads and hands functional.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
XSL_WiLL said:
I think you mean Bell Faction.

All helmets meet CPSC safety standards. I would suggest a skate-style helmet because it does provide more coverage than a cross country helmet. The downside is that they can get quite warm. I really like the Giro Xen. It offers the same back and side protection as a BMX helmet, but has the ventilation of a XC-style lid.

Shinguards: get something with a knee. It's worth it. The Fox shinguards with the x-up retention system works quite well. I also like the 661 offerings. Just make sure that the knee is articulate.

I've always liked the 661 Gracia gloves. I would not suggest buying Specialized gloves, they seem to wear through very very quickly; they are comfortable though.

Shoes: skate style or something with a flat sole. The Vans skate shoes with Off The Wall soles are awesome. DC, Etnies, Globe, etc. I liked my Vans Rowleys. There are mountain bike specific shoes, they typically have a sole that's slightly stiffer. The 5.10 Impact is a great shoe that offers amazing grip, not too much in the looks department though.
how does the giro xen fit? i have a pretty skinny head. but it does look like a sweet helmet.

and i just bought a pair of fox pawtectors on eBay, and i'm planning on getting some 661 4x4 shin guards.

i actually have an old pair of nss shoes that i think work okay.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
aznsap said:
how does the giro xen fit? i have a pretty skinny head. but it does look like a sweet helmet.

and i just bought a pair of fox pawtectors on eBay, and i'm planning on getting some 661 4x4 shin guards.

i actually have an old pair of nss shoes that i think work okay.
I've got a Giro E2, the Xen fits pretty similarly. The RocLoc retention system works great, probably one of the best out there.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.