Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are Mavic XM819 rims. Are they still safe to use? It is a rear wheel. I weigh 140 lbs and ride somewhat aggressively. I assume running them tubeless is out of the question. I usually inflate my wheel to about 30 lbs. The picture is of the inside lip of the rim where it was dented hitting a rock. I tried to bend it back slowly, but the crack began to appear. I was only able to bend it out maybe 1 mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I agree with Maida7....

a cracked rim is a catastrophic failure waiting to happen. A dent and crack in that area would compromise the rims ability to hold the bead of the tire (ust or non-ust) and is a weak spot. Retire the rim and replace it, I wouldn't ride it.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
312 Posts
Of course they're safe to ride! What's the worst that can happen? You destroy your rim and have to walk out 10-15 miles? Much worse can happen.

For reference, I'm not just saying this. My rear is the same way and I still ride it. That's mainly because I'm too poor to upgrade though...

-Rob

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
Mynamesrob said:
Of course they're safe to ride! What's the worst that can happen? You destroy your rim and have to walk out 10-15 miles? Much worse can happen.

For reference, I'm not just saying this. My rear is the same way and I still ride it. That's mainly because I'm too poor to upgrade though...
--------
I want to learn how to build bikes and open a bike shop. What do you want to do when you grow up?
Be sure to let us all know when and where you open up that bike shop, ok?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dr. prescribed new rims.

So the consensus is new rims. Question now is should I stick with the Mavic XM819 or try out the DT Swiss X5.1d with the tubless rim strip. Which will be lighter/wider/stronger? Does the DT Swiss require sealant with their rim strips? Cost/replacing spokes not an issue. Other rim suggestions welcome.

Duc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.