Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there still a lot of window breaking/looting going on at the trailheads? I'm looking to make my first trip down there, and need to know where to park.

I'd appreciate some helpful suggestions, even though I'm sure there will be a few "you're not worthy to ride here if you're not willing to ride to the trailhead from Vallejo" responses.

·
Spin-stabilized
1,494 Posts
I would even empty my glove compartment and take my car's registration/proof of insurance with me and then leave the compartment open. Sometimes, thieves also break into cars to steal personal information.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Aptos, at the dirt lot at the entrance to Nicene, pretty safe parking lot. Nice little spin up the fire road will get you to the top of Demo. Mere mortals are usually only good for one lap of Demo when riding in from Aptos. Two laps and you are burley, three counts as borderline godlike.

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sciencegeek said:
says the guy from vallejo ;)
Touché

...although I haven't had a bit of trouble at either Napa Skyline nor Rockville, knock on wood, both of which are within 15 minutes of my house. I guess we don't have enough tweekers up here or something?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
e-bo-b,

No flamage from me, just a little insight. The problem at Demo is that it can't be permanently cleaned up. The sheriff's office did bust a couple perps a few years ago, but there will be others. Because it is an isolated spot with very low traffic, cars parked there are vulnerable to smash and grab robberies. Happens other places too. There's safety in numbers and in traffic. The people that do this sort of thing are looking for cars parked in out of the way places where they can do this with a low chance of being observed

As others have noted, don't leave things of value in the car. To that advice, I would add these two other points. First, if you are stashing stuff in the trunk of your car, do it before you get there. Arrive ready to ride. Secondly, cross the bridge and park in the lot. Most of the break ins have been along the road and on weekdays.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
park in the lot, hope your windows arent tinted, dont bring a good looking car, and like HC said, put everything in the trunk beforehand. Ive ridden demo many times over the years and have never had an issue, including weekday riding by myself. i always bring a pair of dirty socks and leave them on the front seat, too. o, and lock your rack.

·
Working on my Drops
632 Posts
You guys recommend parking in the lot over on the road? I would think the road is safer considering they're is more traffic then the lot.

I'm always undecided when I go there as to where to park.

·
Working on my Drops
632 Posts
Oh yea, e-bo-b, you can always park at the top by the road closure. It isn't really close anymroe and you can drive by it, but a lot of people still park up there. I would consider that pretty safe. But you have to bike on the road a mile or two more.

·
Crazy Dutch Bastard
87 Posts
Speaking about the road closure, I saw an 18-wheeler going up Highland while loading up my bike on Sunday:eekster: Somehow he made it, but I doubt that it did the road any good...

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you clear out the car of valuables, I'd suggest leaving the windows down. Then, they don't break a window on their way in. Also, it tells them that nothing of value is inside. I lived in various ghetto neighborhoods, and finally came upon this as a solution. Seemed to work fine. But, then again, I drove crappy vw vans and bugs, so chances of valuables were pretty low to begin with.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Stumpy_Steve said:
park in the lot, hope your windows arent tinted, dont bring a good looking car, and like HC said, put everything in the trunk beforehand. Ive ridden demo many times over the years and have never had an issue, including weekday riding by myself. i always bring a pair of dirty socks and leave them on the front seat, too. o, and lock your rack.
i was just there 2 weekends ago and parked my tinted black Mazda6 at the road block. i was just actually worried about having another landslide and toppling my car over the cliff lol. but now i realize there are more realistic stuff to worry about. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey e-bo-b,

I've been riding Demo 2-3 weeknights each month and basically leave nothing of value in the car. Parked at the road block originally and now in the upper lot since the road isn't blocked. Haven't had a problem or seen any broken windows. There were about eight cars in the upper lot last night.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is there any pattern of what time of day the perps break in to vehicles.
I plan on parking there this weekend in the a.m.

Nevermind I forgot that tweekers only sleep once a week for 36 hours at a time.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Triple Threat said:
Is there any pattern of what time of day the perps break in to vehicles.
I plan on parking there this weekend in the a.m.

Nevermind I forgot that tweekers only sleep once a week for 36 hours at a time.
Well, its not just tweakers that break into cars. But past recollection of break-ins is that there are more on weekdays than weekends. My guess would be there is very little traffic on that road Monday through Friday while most folks are at work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.