Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(to remove oil residue)

one of my friends sujested using emery cloth(sandpaper for metal) on the roter, caz mine looks a lil darker then normal and when ever i run a cloth over it, the cloth comes out black. Another friend sujested using gas to clean the pads and the roter, is this a good idea?

Help guys!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was oiling my bearings and i put a lil too much oil and didn't wait for it to soak in before riding, and when my wheel spun, all the oil came up and onto my disk break! wat a mess!

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Remove the pad and soak them overnight in rubbing alcohol (the higher % isopropyl alcohol you can find the better). Use alcohol on the rotors too (and use a paper towel, don't use an old rag w/ oil on it).

If the pads are glazed then try sanding them lightly.

Another way to remove contaminants is to burn them out of the pads. Small cullinary torches work well. Just heat them until it stops smoking.

·
Registered
23 Posts
DcN said:
(to remove oil residue)

one of my friends sujested using emery cloth(sandpaper for metal) on the roter, caz mine looks a lil darker then normal and when ever i run a cloth over it, the cloth comes out black. Another friend sujested using gas to clean the pads and the roter, is this a good idea?

Help guys!
I would think using brake cleaner from the auto parts store would work best and be safest. After all that is what it is designed to do.

http://www.maximausa.com/products/cleaners/brakecleaner.asp

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.