Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, like the title says, I am looking to retire my Intense 6.6. I absolutely love the bike. I got it in 2008 and have maintained the bike regularly.

About 6 years ago I upgraded the rear shock to a Cane Creek DB air cs, and the Talas cartridge in my 36 forks to a Talas 5.

I hadn't ridden my mountain bike in a couple years, and went to Sky Park last week. My forks were topping out badly and I found that there are no parts available for it. Also, good tubeless 26" tires are very hard to come by. Maybe it is time to upgrade.

A little about me:
52 years old, 185lbs, 6' tall, been riding mountain bikes since the late 80s. Started with a Univega, then GT Avalanche, GT RTS, GT LTS, and then my 6.6. I am a mountain biker that rides a road bike fairly regularly, but due to circumstances don't MB as much as I would like.

I am looking for a bike like my 6.6, but everything seems to have changed so much. I am not sure I want 29" wheels, but it seems like most bikes with ~ 160mm travel have only 29" wheels. I love flowy fast single track, lots of jumps, and want a bike I can ride (not E ride) up the hill. not sure ~ 140 rear travel will be enough.

The brands I have begun looking at are:
  • Intense; but I understand the mid-stroke blow through is pretty bad (same problem I had with my 6.6)
  • Santa Cruz; still VPP, but limited 27.5 options
  • Ibis; no experience at all with this brand, but have been intrigued by the bike.
  • Yeti; no experience, but they seem to get good reviews.
My budget is around $5k to $6k, and I way prefer Shimano components and Fox forks / shock. I ride clipless pedals (not that it would matter, but thought I would throw that in).

Thanks in advance for your comments and thoughts,
Bryan

· Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
465 Posts
Intense Updated their suspension across the board like 5 years back, so it is progressive and supper supportive:
I would say Primer either 29 or 27,5 killer bike;

you can go mullet - that will give you quite fun bike

Instead of canfield I would choose revel bikes, since they use same platform, however more refined frames

· Registered
1,000 Posts
I was in almost the exact same position as you (51yr @ 185lbs, 5'11").
I went with a 2021 SJ but I did strongly cosider a Primer due to the value/spec. I the end I decided it was a little too much bike for me however for
you it might be a great fit.
Also, the larger tires, dropper post and Geo will soon make you forget about that ole 6.6 and going from 26 to 29 also makes for less required travel (something to think about).

· Registered
3,220 Posts
You are a bit of a Rip Van Winkle. Your 6.6 and related components are about 3-4 generations old. Bike geo and the riding style that went with it have gone through some changes. Any modern bike of the last 2 years will feel foreign and Loooong, especially compared to your 6.6.

I think you need to demo at least 4 different modern bikes to get a feel of what modern bikes are like. In this covid world, good luck in finding demos. Sky park maybe a good place to start. Drop that seat post all the way down on the downhill, please no high posting. Don't be afraid of a 29er, all the current tech is focused on that wheel size, yes 27.5 bikes are dialed but 29ers are better for covering distance and carrying speed through the curves, especially on flowy trails.

A 120mm - 140mm trail bike is a nice sweet spot if you like to pedal. A 63- 64 degree head angle enduro bike will feel really really weird to you but in a bike park or on the steeps they feel so safe.

Fox and Shimano do have an edge in the last couple of years but don't make it too much of a deal breaker, Sram and Rockshox are still good.

· MTBR Member since 2001...
331 Posts
The 951 >Trail< is a nice bike at $3600. You can buy direct and Intense has stock. I'd own one of these bkes without hesitation even with its NX drivetrain.

Also be willing to consider

Ibis

Ride one and see what you think. 27.5 or 29... Shimano and Fox.. Plenty of squish too. I'm not biased at all LoL

· Registered
233 Posts
Before I went all 29'' fleet, I really wanted a banshee spitfire. It sounds like it fits your wish list. I am mulling between a prime and phantom now, but I am sure something else shiny will catch my attention by the time I finish my current hardtail build and save money for my next FS.

· squish, squish in da fish
2,177 Posts
That's why I proposed revel, canfield looks ugly and do not have water bottle in front triangle

Cheers
lol, on my lg rascal it took me a b-rad mount, shim work and a extremely small and very thin walled bottle to work on the stand. tomorrow will tell me if it was worth the hassle. maybe if you had an air shock it might work out better?

sorry to derail the thread, but could be good info if op was actually looking at this bike

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for your comments. Sorry I have been slow in responding, been super busy.

Due to the restricted amount of bikes currently available for purchase, I think I will end up holding off for a bit. I usually buy the closeouts from the previous year to save some money, but this is not going to happen this year for sure.

I am not sure I want to go with a 29" because I like to be able to throw the bike around a bit and I understand the 27.5 is more fun in that way. I really do like Intense bikes and will likely gravitate that way, but am open to other manufacturers.

I will likely get the seals that are still available forks, change the oil and hope for the best for local riding. For Skypark or Snow Summit, I will just rent different bikes until I find one that I like. I think that will be my best way to go forward for now.

I like the "Rip Van Winkle" comment. I keep up on my bike pretty regularly and do all my own maintenance. It has lasted this long, and the only thing preventing me from keeping this bike is the availability of parts. I guess it really is an "ignorance is bliss" thing. I can keep up with, and usually in front of, most the guys I ride with, so I thought nothing of it. I am sure that when I start riding newer bikes I will start noticing how much better they are. It will be kind of like going from V-Brakes on my GT LTS to the disc brakes on this. I used to think "how much better can they be?". Dang.

Thanks again for the tips,
Bryan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.