Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me whether there's any truth to the whole getting a saddle with the gap directly in the middle?

Someone told me it was good for a guy's prostate in that it doesn't cause some sort of irritation or *something*.

I wasn't able to find any good information on the net through google.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
beegblock said:
Can anyone tell me whether there's any truth to the whole getting a saddle with the gap directly in the middle?

Someone told me it was good for a guy's prostate in that it doesn't cause some sort of irritation or *something*.

Thanks everyone!
That's the propaganda. It applies mostly to gearies. I don't worry, I ride SS.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Propaganda mostly for selling new stuff as far as I'm concerned. If you take care in setting up your saddle/position I'd say you really don't need to worry about it....all some guys had to hear was that it might cause problems "down there" and panic city.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
beegblock said:

Thanks everyone!
I believe that it is correct about the damage that can be caused to both male and female bodies by the pressure of a badly designed saddle and badly set up bike.

Has your junk ever gone numb, or have you experienced a lot of pain whilst riding? Tingling or numbness in the genitals or lower body can be a sign that the blood flow to the genitals is being cut off by pressure.

Have a glance at this page and some of the links near the bottom...

http://www.mcmwin.com/faq.htm

R.

·
Combat Wombat
1,746 Posts
I think they work for some.

beegblock said:

Thanks everyone!
Saddles are extremely individualistic, what works for one person can be another's worst nightmare. I bought one of the original Flight saddles for my mountainbike at a LBS while stationed in Sicily in 1990. Put many miles on it and when I started getting into roadbiking a few years later, bought a Flight for the roadbike as well. Never had any issues and this includes many century rides. About 6 years ago, I started getting much more serious about roadbiking and found that my riding style changed from a more upright relaxed position to a low stretched out position. I got to where I could go many miles in the drops. It was at this time that I started noticing that my beloved Flight kind of rubbed in a sensitive spot. If I tilted the saddle to avoid this, when I wasn't in an aggressive riding position, the angle of the saddle was very uncomfortable. I had actually tried, because of concerns from my wife, other saddles with holes or slots. I tried a Specialized Body Geometry and a Terry Liberator, each one coming highly recommended from guys that put some serious mileage on them. I could have saved my money on the Specialized, bolted a 2X4 to the seatpost and painted it red. It probably would have been more comfortable. The Terry was not quite so bad, but it was too soft for my liking. I lived with the odd angle of my Flight, until I got a chance to check out a Flight Gel Flow. It looked similar in shape and size to a regular Flight, but had the gel inserts with the hole. So far, it has been one of the most comfortable road saddles I have ridden and has completely did away with the problem I was having with my original Flight. I am sure I could eventually find a saddle without a hole that would have fixed my problem, but as for now, when I take my turn for a pull into a 20 mph headwind and go into the drops, "everything" feels fine. Hole or no hole, this saddle works for me and that's what counts.

I'll ask my wife to look for some references on this subject and post them here. If its out there, and I know it is, she will find it.

Brian

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,000 Posts
Rainman said:
I believe that it is correct about the damage that can be caused to both male and female bodies by the pressure of a badly designed saddle and badly set up bike.

Has your junk ever gone numb, or have you experienced a lot of pain whilst riding? Tingling or numbness in the genitals or lower body can be a sign that the blood flow to the genitals is being cut off by pressure.

Have a glance at this page and some of the links near the bottom...

http://www.mcmwin.com/faq.htm

R.
yep....you will fail to "rise to the occasion"

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I cannot ride on a saddle that does not have the hole. I go numb in less than 1/2 hour. So my saddles do have that cut-out. But even with that cut-out, proper saddle size/type for your body geometry (read butt size :)) and proper saddle position is very important - especially after several hours.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,794 Posts
beegblock said:

Thanks everyone!
I don'r need an actual hole, but a ridge down the center (especially in the back and middle of the saddle) makes a big difference in my comfort.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
I have to question

the true purpose of "the hole" when there are $100 holey saddles selling alongside $15 holey saddles. For instance, my GF's $300 bike came with a crappy, no name saddle that features a hole. It can't have cost more than $15, and I doubt that there was much research and development put into the shape, size and location of that hole. I'm sure that some companies must be on to something, but I do agree that there is also a lot marketing hype involved.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I chalk it up to personal preference myself. So far i've only ridden one saddle without "the hole" (HAHAHAHAA) that I find comfortable enough to have kept. I've kept the other "holy saddles" I have simply because they're better for my anatomy. I guess i'm "pro hole".

If anything I have found that the SHAPE of the saddle is most important, followed by it's "holy-ness".

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I have 2 WTB saddles on each of my mtbs. One has the groove and the other doesn't. I can ride both of them, seated, forever and never feel any discomfort or numbness.

My road bike has a Specialized saddle with the groove in it and I feel numbness after about 45 minutes. I'm not sure if it's because of the seat design or the different riding position etc but I plan to switch out that seat fairly soon.

Actually, it feels really cool when I stand up and the feeling starts to come back :rolleyes:

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
I think that everybody agrees that everyone is built different and rides differently. When I bought my first full suspension bike, I found myself sitting more than on my HT. I also bought a road bike. I found my self getting numb.
I checked my setup with what I had read and everything checked out. I changed from a Flite saddle to many different saddles and also tipped it in the front. Nothing helped. I then stood up more and followed advice from magazines. I got to a point where I quit riding for a month.

I tried lowering my seatpost and found that at full pedal extension, with my seat slightly tipped for climbing, I was just slightly off the saddle. All pressure was gone. My problem was solved. No more numb feeling. I tried different saddles over the years, but the correct setup is more important. I am using a WTB Pure now with a small covered cutout up front for steep climbing, and I like it a lot. But everyone is different, and saddle choice is a personal thing.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
This turned out a funny post. I think that what is important is that the saddle has a depression in the middle. I have used Specialized Body Geometry saddles (BG2 and Avatar) with holes, they are nice, and also WTB Rocket V (no hole), and I think that the Rocket is more confortable than the BG.

I think that there are lot's of things that make a saddle confortable or a pain in the part that goes atop of it.

One is the shape, another might be size, width, etc..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts