Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Adventure Mapper
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know. Saddles are all personal preference..blah, blah, blah

I have had my wtb laser v pro gel ti saddle for 5 years now...its served me well.
I have had other, more comfortable saddles, but this one has been ok for a while I guess. Gets uncomfortable around 2.5hrs into a ride.

I am hoping to invest in a great "endurance worthy" saddle in the next month sometime. I want a saddle with my priorities being in this order:

1) Increased distance in the saddle before uncomfortable feeling sets in.
2) weight. If its over 300g, its not worth it.
3) price. I am willing to invest a good chunk, but would prefer something under $100.

I measured me seat bones @ a specialized store to be between 143 and 155mm wided saddle preferred, though some 130mm wide saddles have felt great to me in the past.

Any experiences you can share with me would be appreciated, even though I will largely have to figure out for myself what will fit me best.

Thanks.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I've always had good luck with the WTB line of saddles; The Rocket V has served me well.

They usually have something for everyone from shapes and fit to prices and weight, plus they are easy to find and most dealers will have some demo saddles you can try on your own rig....

·
Adventure Mapper
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Koobi looks good, but pretty pricey for saddles that seem to be on the heavier (almost 300g) side. Maybe price and weight penalties are worth the all day comfort that these might provide?

WTB seems to make good saddles. I need to find a dealer that has the test ride sampling. I think the rocket v might be too narrow for my seat bones, if specialized's measurements on me were correct. The rocket v is one of the narrowest saddles out there I think, but I also have ridden some bikes in shops with them and they seem pretty comfy initially. I got the lazer v originally with the thought that it was a wider rocket v, but the shape is very different too.

·
SSOD
826 Posts
Spec Toupe Ti on my race bike and road bike, have done mtb 6hr events and road centuries with these and they've always been good to me. Have a Fizik gobi on my fs and have spent all day rides on it without problems also. WTB Laser V on my rigid for a little more cushion. It really all depends on your riding style, bike, and comfort level but you already know that.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Love my Fizik Aliante's. The only saddle I have gotten on and liked it from the start and still like it 9 hours later. I have them on 5 bikes. 3 models that I know of from regular (manganese rails?) to Ti rails w/ carbon shell to carbon rails and shell. Decent weights but not weight weenie by any scale. That being said I think saddles are the most individual preference of any bike part.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The Specialized Phenom has been a good long distance saddle for me:thumbsup: I now have one on all my bikes. I previously used WTB Rocket V saddles on my mountain bikes and while they worked well for me over short to mid-distance races I found them to be too soft over the long haul=butt burn:eekster: In the end (no pun intended) :ciappa: it is a personal choice and what works for me may not for you....Seek out a shop that will allow test rides if possible to narrow your decision.

·
SSOD
826 Posts
forgiven_nick for me they work great. I found/ find most my stuff on ebay or classifieds used. I think I paid around $80 for my toupe ti that was off a demo bike, and $75 for a used one with maybe 4 rides on it from a guy that just didn't like it. Best of luck man.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my Charge Knife Ti Saddle. 140mm wide. I've ridden a few 6 hour rides on it and it stays comfy.

The Knife is the race version, they also make the Spoon which has slightly more padding, but the same shape.

My black Knife:

My white Knife:

And my white Spoon...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
forgiven_nick said:
Thanks for the replies.

Koobi looks good, but pretty pricey for saddles that seem to be on the heavier (almost 300g) side. Maybe price and weight penalties are worth the all day comfort that these might provide?

WTB seems to make good saddles. I need to find a dealer that has the test ride sampling. I think the rocket v might be too narrow for my seat bones, if specialized's measurements on me were correct. The rocket v is one of the narrowest saddles out there I think, but I also have ridden some bikes in shops with them and they seem pretty comfy initially. I got the lazer v originally with the thought that it was a wider rocket v, but the shape is very different too.
The saddle/sit bone width measurements do not transfer from company to company very well. Both Spec and Bonty have measuring systems and they are not interchangeable. The shape of the shell is as, or more, important than the overall dimensions.

I have used the newer Bonty saddles, fit to me by them. Comfortable for shorter rides. Rubbed me raw on rides longer than 3-4 hours.

My favorite is MUCH narrower and has all-day comfort. Fizik Nisene TwinTech, the original version, long discontinued. I still find NOS on eBay.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
forgiven_nick said:
I know, I know. Saddles are all personal preference..blah, blah, blah

I have had my wtb laser v pro gel ti saddle for 5 years now...its served me well.
I have had other, more comfortable saddles, but this one has been ok for a while I guess. Gets uncomfortable around 2.5hrs into a ride.For me that is a very uncomfortable saddle

I am hoping to invest in a great "endurance worthy" saddle in the next month sometime. I want a saddle with my priorities being in this order:

1) Increased distance in the saddle before uncomfortable feeling sets in.
2) weight. If its over 300g, its not worth it.
3) price. I am willing to invest a good chunk, but would prefer something under $100.

Really revise to most comfortable saddle, then weight, forget about the price

I measured me seat bones @ a specialized store to be between 143 and 155mm wided saddle preferred, though some 130mm wide saddles have felt great to me in the past.

Any experiences you can share with me would be appreciated, even though I will largely have to figure out for myself what will fit me best.

Thanks.
Saddles should be one on the very last things to cause pain.

Sore shoulders/arms back going....legs rubber....saddle should still be fine. no chafing no bone pain.

Personnally I am a Specilized 143 mm, and I need the cutout....

When I rode the Trans Rockies...everything hurt but the saddle at some point.... longest day 8.2 hours.

I can only get maybe 2.5 hours on a Specilized 130mm....can't hardly sit on a 153...

So raise your standards, go ride some demo bikes etc....when you find the one you will know it.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
mtbne1 said:
The Specialized Phenom has been a good long distance saddle for me:thumbsup: I now have one on all my bikes. I previously used WTB Rocket V saddles on my mountain bikes and while they worked well for me over short to mid-distance races I found them to be too soft over the long haul=butt burn:eekster: In the end (no pun intended) :ciappa: it is a personal choice and what works for me may not for you....Seek out a shop that will allow test rides if possible to narrow your decision.
Phenom Gel Ti

I love my Phenom's. I have the standard ones on my fun bikes, and then a gel version on my endurance race rig. I've put 25 hours on that seat, and the gel version still feels fine...it's in the 250g range and cost me $150.

I liked the rocket for a few hours, but it hurt me after awhile.

·
Eating Hot Pockets
503 Posts
casting my vote for the Rocket V..
I used to run the Lazers, but found the Rockets to rub less while allowing for better movement when necessary... without giving up support or comfort..

on my road bike for centuries, i have the Toupe Ti 143, but for long MTB rides, I have zero complaints with the Rocket V (did a 10.5 hour and a 10 hour ride on the Rocket V last year... and i could walk afterwards.. that's saying something.)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
forgiven_nick said:
I've got Enduro Au on both of my 29rs, and they are in the 200-somthing range, BUT...even if they are heavier than the carbon slivers that some guys ride, to me, Koobis are fantasitc when you are riding...all...day...long.... :thumbsup:

·
Adventure Mapper
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
used2Bhard said:
Phenom Gel Ti

I love my Phenom's. I have the standard ones on my fun bikes, and then a gel version on my endurance race rig. I've put 25 hours on that seat, and the gel version still feels fine...it's in the 250g range and cost me $150.

I liked the rocket for a few hours, but it hurt me after awhile.
Wait...you're saying 25hrs straight on the phenom gel ti? Is that on your salsa ti hardtail?
Man, that's a good test for an endurance saddle. How would you compare (elapsed time still remaining comfortable) between the phenom sl and the phenom gel ti?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.