Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My sister and I are cycling from london to sydney for charity startin g in about 9 weeks! the trip is going to take a whole year and i am looking for some tips on saddles and padded shorts?

I have been recommended a 'brooks' leather saddle but also a selle trans am?

anyone have experiance with these saddles or can recommend other ones for a long trip like this?

Thanks a lot!!

kira :rolleyes:

www.cyclingtosydney.com

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
cyclingtosydney said:
Hi!

My sister and I are cycling from london to sydney for charity startin g in about 9 weeks! the trip is going to take a whole year and i am looking for some tips on saddles and padded shorts?

anyone have experiance with these saddles or can recommend other ones for a long trip like this?

Thanks a lot!!

www.cyclingtosydney.com
I hate to break it to you, but the best saddle is a worn saddle. You should have posted this six months ago. Brooks are great (but too wide IMHO for mtb), and known for a helluva long break in period. With that in mind, I'd opt for the Selle. Either one you choose, I'd make sure to have the Bag Balm ready.

As far as shorts, nothing beats Pearl's Microsensors. Worth every penny of the $130 bucks, and then some.

Good luck, and good on you.

·
mtbr member since 1997
354 Posts
Terry Butterfly

cyclingtosydney said:
Hi!

Thanks a lot!!

www.cyclingtosydney.com
I put one of these on my road bike the night before a double century weekend. It was a move I would not recommend to others (as Kitty says, you need to break in your equipmment), but I was desperate--my old saddle fell apart and the other new saddle I had (another Terry with a cut-out, but with seams along the cut-out) was killing me--I was crying after a 35km ride. But the Butterfuly fit like a well-worn glove and didn't kill me. Well, nothing is without pain after a 2nd century, but I was quite ok compared to how I would have been on either of my previous 2 saddles.

Good luck!

Mary Ann

P.S. Terry has the best return policy. I gave them my old saddle no questions asked and I was able to upgrade to the Butterfly--all without a receipt.

·
Registered
171 Posts
colour me stupid, but aren't there some oceans involved between London and Sydney?
As to saddles: highly reccomend checking out what Specialized has to offer. I've found their Body Geometry stuff to be very well designed. I'm using one of their low-end women's saddles on my mtb and when I've traded bikes with other people, they all gush over the saddle (maybe the wrong choice of wording?). My road bike I have the selle italia trans am or something (traded for it, don't know what it's called)... it's alright but it's not like I think I'm sitting on a cloud or anything.
Best of luck! What charity are you riding for?

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
handle bar height!

Do keep in mind that HIGH HANDS relative to seat, promotes a comfy butt! So keep the overall position on the bike in mind as well as the saddle. Avoid getting tooooo rolled forward onto fleshy bits....as a low hand postion will cause.

Have a fun ride, well, "ride" doesn't seem to cover it. Have a good YEAR!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.