Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some suggestions on what saddles you are using on your bike packing adventures. I have Surly ECR that I got this year with the stock seat which I don't like. I put on a seat I have been using for years and never had any problems with it till our last trip. The seat is a Giant upright one that came on my 2014 Trance. I am open to any help.
Thanks in advance

· off to ride
267 Posts
I just purchased a Specialized Power Expert for my Cutthroat. I believe the bike originally came with some type of WTB saddle, which was horrible for me, so the LBS put on a Fizik Argo, which, I still didn’t like.

After a few rides, the Power Expert seems nice. After a few on the Argo, I could tell it just wasn’t quite right for me but I kept making small adjustments to see if I could get it right. With the Power, I set it to level and will ride for a few weeks to see how it does. The LBS is giving me 2-3 weeks to make sure it’s good or I can try another one as long as it’s in returnable shape.

My road bike I have a Specialized Toupe saddle, which isn’t made anymore. The Power may be even better, we shall see.

what size do you Need? My Argo is a 160.

· Registered
94 Posts
I'll second the recommendation by wgscott for a leather saddle. There's a really good reason that a few companies have been making the same saddle design for 100 years. It works, it's comfortable, and it lasts long.

I've got two B17's now on my bikes, and I won't buy another plastic saddle again.

· Registered
3,861 Posts
For biking and MTB my wife and I have liked WTB Pure but for really long tour type rides I wanted something with less padding. I've been totally surprised and pleased with a relatively new Bontrager called Verse. It's available in 4 widths, and the really long cutout works well for moving around on the saddle.

I tried it as a skeptic and part because of current availability issues but really like it. It seems to have flex in the shell making firm padding work well, and is really good moving fore and aft. The shop people pointed out the Trek return policy but it's a keeper for me. The foam is firm compared to most saddles and the plastic shell flexes more like a leather saddle.

I keep being pleasantly surprised with Bontrager stuff compared to times past.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
19,642 Posts
Fabric Saddles, the Scoop Radius Profile super comfortable and inexpensive.
I have this saddle on 4 bikes -- like it a lot.
=sParty

P.S. Fabric is the brand name. A dumb brand name for sure, but the surface of the saddle is not fabric.

· Registered
109 Posts
Selle royal respiro...
Only reason I didn't go for a leather one is that at nearly 300lbs I didn't want to deal with broken parts.
The selle royal is crazy comfy. I'm running it on my surly krampus.
If you're lightweight compared to me, go with leather.

· Registered
159 Posts
What NB said......

I rode the CT last summer and my 2 buddies were on various Brooks Cambium C-17s, no chamois. After finishing the trail, I went home purchased C-17s for all 3 bikes, burned my chamois, and now ride sans diaper and couldn't be happier! Highly recommend!

· Registered
3,861 Posts
Before brand or material, figure out if wider or narrow, longer or shorter, and a more round or flat profile are your right choice.

After or maybe within all that, a long bumpy ride has me liking the cushion of WTB Pure series. Less bumpy long in the saddle I like a firmer one. There I found a surprise new favorite this year - Bontrager Verse that has a lot of width options and is better all weather than leather. Also cools well. I like the slide around nature of leather but not when it gets too soft or when I feel the metal frame.

FWIW, it seems like a whole lot of people like WTB Pure family that was originally more of a gravity MTB type. It's interesting to me that my wife and I both like them and it facilitates bike sharing. Friends with very different shapes and builds seem to like them.

Something else if this is about long rides or tours is get liners or shorts with endurance type pads that are not so diaper-like.

· since 4/10/2009
38,053 Posts
the first thing to figure out before choosing a different saddle is to figure out WHY you don't like the one you have. The why is important. There are many different aspects of a saddle that play a role, and it's probably not the amount of padding, fwiw. There are several different components to a saddle's shape that aren't really measurable. The transition from the wide part to the narrow nose being a really big one.

· Registered
1,894 Posts
I agree with the poster above about identifying the source of discomfort first and then diving into the type of saddle that might address that issue.

Not making any suggestions for a particular saddle, but there is useful information about saddle design and anatomy on the Selle Anatomica site. (Selle is the Italian word for saddle -- Selle Anatomica is an American company based in San Diego)

Selle Italia has a saddle finder HERE.

SQ Labs has done a deep dive on saddle design HERE.

Ergon gets right to it:
Which problems should the saddle address?
pressure sensitive buttocks
pressure sensitive genital area

Most companies focused totally on bike saddles will have information about saddle design philosophy. For example, on a saddle search awhile back I came across a saddle maker's website that discussed anterior or posterior pelvic tilt relative to whether a rider found a flat or curved saddle platform more comfortable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.