Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large 08 scalpel and the saddle to bar drop is killing my back. i am using the stem/steerer combo - 90mm +/- 5deg. I know I can get a normal steerer, but will that allow me to raise the position of the stem as well? I'd like to get another inch of height if possible.

Are there any options that allow the use of a standard stem (ie give me more options on length and rise)? I know eliflap has something similar but was wondering whether anything has been mass produced yet?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
nathanbal said:
I have a large 08 scalpel and the saddle to bar drop is killing my back. i am using the stem/steerer combo - 90mm +/- 5deg. I know I can get a normal steerer, but will that allow me to raise the position of the stem as well? I'd like to get another inch of height if possible.

Are there any options that allow the use of a standard stem (ie give me more options on length and rise)? I know eliflap has something similar but was wondering whether anything has been mass produced yet?
Have not seen any mass produced yet.

But, you could get a standard steerer tube and grab a Cannondale stem from your LBS with a bunch of rise.

Only problem is, the combo is like 150g heavier than the integrated stem/steerer.

I have a Steerer tube in pretty good condition...pm me if interested.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
It's not that much heavier with real world weights... Another option is to get the long steerer. It's just what it is: a Lefty steerer that's 50mm longer. I think the part number is KT040.

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
Cannondale does make a 20 degree stem/steerer in a 90mm length, that would give you quite a bit more rise than the 5 degree you have on there now.

Kein

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know this is a personal thing... but the stem/steerer with the 20 deg rise makes the bike look terrible in my opinion. i also have a low riser on at the moment but going bigger (like DH bigger) just doesnt seem right on the Scalpel.

the extra longer steerer looks like a winner - going to try and source one! thanks dan.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have a 170mm stem I got off Ebay. Probably from the mid-late 90s. Hardly ever use it. Only cost me $10. You can find multiple degrees of rise up to about 140mm in length. Beyond that its the standard 5+-.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what complicates matters is that i need a short stem as well. so i need to raise the stem height up to get the right fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts