Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an avid chamois butter user but this time the saddle sore got me anyways. It's quite painful, about the size of a quarter on diameter and about 1/4 inch in elevation. It's almost resembling a blood blister. Any one got "cures" for them after you have them. I know about prevention but I'm looking for a quick fix. please help. must ride.
 

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,077 Posts
I am a courier,

and I use to race 24 hour solo races. I have had some doozie saddle sores. Best thing to do is go to the MD for antibiotics. Clears them up fast.
Stubborn? Don't like doctors?
Try sitting in a hot bath three times/15 minutes a day. It increases blood flow to the area and brings the infection to the surface. When it is white on top you can lance it with a pin. DO NOT SQUEEZE. It drives the infection deeper. Blot it with a cotton swab. Taking some time off the bike definitely helps. Saddle sores love hot moist chamois.
Topical antibiotics do nothing.
They always take days to heal if you do the right thing. Do nothing and they can last weeks and months. I have had some sores so long I forget what it is like not to have them.
I feel your pain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,066 Posts
Lance it with a sterile needle. I normally dont bother waiting till it is on the surface as teamdicky mentioned. Just wash throughly, disinfect, then with a sharp needle lance it till the crap comes out. You wont need to go more than 1/4". I find it clears up within a day or so of this.
How do you avoid them ? keep clean and spray your chamois with a disinfectant before a ride.
 

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,077 Posts
Lancing

I have had them deep enough that I have spent 1/2 an hour lancing and come up with nothing more than an aggravated taint. If you have to ride the next day and wear chamois for 11 hours, I wouldn't suggest lancing too deep. The baths really will bring it to the surface. I only have time for 2 baths a day during the week, but the infection will still surface.
 

·
i worship Mr T
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
check on roadbikereview general discussion...

preparation_h said:
I'm an avid chamois butter user but this time the saddle sore got me anyways. It's quite painful, about the size of a quarter on diameter and about 1/4 inch in elevation. It's almost resembling a blood blister. Any one got "cures" for them after you have them. I know about prevention but I'm looking for a quick fix. please help. must ride.
and search the archives. i asked a similar question about 6 months ago and i believe they have a FAQ about saddle sore cures.

as other's have said, if it looks like a pimple with a head go ahead and lance it. if it is just a red bump lancing it will do nothing but make your eyes tear. however, from your description it sounds like lancing it is your best 'quick fix'.

before & after you lance it be sure to keep the area as clean as possible. using an astringent with salicylic acid worked well for me. also, over-the-counter acne cream will help dry the area out and prevent it from becomming infected again.

another thing that seemed to help me was using Preparation H (yes, i know it sounds weird, but it works). Prep H will help reduce the swelling in the area and will soothe the area. it's greasy so i tended to use it at night and with my chamois cream when i rode.

rt
 

·
robust, yet smooth
Joined
·
473 Posts
disinfect

heatstroke said:
How do you avoid them ? keep clean and spray your chamois with a disinfectant before a ride.

Disinfectant like lyscol (sp?)?

Also, do you put the chamos butter/bag balm on you or the chamois and if the chamois, doesn't it make your shorts look greasy?

-capt p
 

·
Wizard of the Trail
Joined
·
912 Posts
*rt* said:
and search the archives. i asked a similar question about 6 months ago and i believe they have a FAQ about saddle sore cures.

as other's have said, if it looks like a pimple with a head go ahead and lance it. if it is just a red bump lancing it will do nothing but make your eyes tear. however, from your description it sounds like lancing it is your best 'quick fix'.

before & after you lance it be sure to keep the area as clean as possible. using an astringent with salicylic acid worked well for me. also, over-the-counter acne cream will help dry the area out and prevent it from becomming infected again.

another thing that seemed to help me was using Preparation H (yes, i know it sounds weird, but it works). Prep H will help reduce the swelling in the area and will soothe the area. it's greasy so i tended to use it at night and with my chamois cream when i rode.

rt
My first ride with chamois, I didn't know you needed anything like a cream in the chamois. Boy did i get a sore early and ignored it for the rest of the ride. I had a nice sore there when I returned. I heard using utterly smooth cream works well, two bucks at wallyworld. I bought it and never had a problem since. Just make sure you use enough. Put some on your chamois and lube up your undercarriage.
 

·
robust, yet smooth
Joined
·
473 Posts
again, does it make your shorts greasy?

Geist262 said:
My first ride with chamois, I didn't know you needed anything like a cream in the chamois. Boy did i get a sore early and ignored it for the rest of the ride. I had a nice sore there when I returned. I heard using utterly smooth cream works well, two bucks at wallyworld. I bought it and never had a problem since. Just make sure you use enough. Put some on your chamois and lube up your undercarriage.
I mean, after my last (and first!) saddle sore, I'm game to try it. I just kinda want a heads up on if I'm going to be sporting greasy shorts and if so, are they visibly greasy on the exterior?

thanks,

-capt p
 

·
Obviously Single
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
A & D

preparation_h said:
I'm an avid chamois butter user but this time the saddle sore got me anyways. It's quite painful, about the size of a quarter on diameter and about 1/4 inch in elevation. It's almost resembling a blood blister. Any one got "cures" for them after you have them. I know about prevention but I'm looking for a quick fix. please help. must ride.
A friend of mine with kids suggested A&D Ointment. It's a lot cheaper than
the stuff designed for biking, and it helps your A and your D. :rolleyes:

I was watching the Lance Chronicals the other day, and it looks like Lance
really goops it on. I usually only use the A&D for rides over 4 hours, and as long
as I'm good and clean at ride start time, I'm fine. I think many of the pimply
bumps are caused by bacteria (like other pimples).
 

·
They say I have a problem
Joined
·
460 Posts
My routine....

My problem has more to do with chafing then anything else, but if I'm not careful saddle sores develop....

What I've done this year to combat the problem is two fold. I start by using a silicone based A&D barrier cream, that is available in the baby section of most stores. I goop the stuff on in the sensitive areas. After the ride I strip off the shorts right away and use a anti-bacterial wipe on the sensitive areas. That way nothing gets a chance to fester....mmmm, nice word...fester *laugh*...

Then after a shower I'll use a cotton ball soaked in hydrogen peroxide to disinfect the area, if I feel a bit sensitive down there.

So far it seems to be working....

Rich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
capt pearl said:
I mean, after my last (and first!) saddle sore, I'm game to try it. I just kinda want a heads up on if I'm going to be sporting greasy shorts and if so, are they visibly greasy on the exterior?

thanks,

-capt p
People won't be able to notice that your sporting some chamois butter. Feels oh so good. just be prepared come winter time when you want to put some on it gets a little cold.
 

·
i worship Mr T
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
capt pearl said:
I mean, after my last (and first!) saddle sore, I'm game to try it. I just kinda want a heads up on if I'm going to be sporting greasy shorts and if so, are they visibly greasy on the exterior?

thanks,

-capt p
no. not unless you absolutely slather it on. when my S.O. did a 24 hr solo i would put so much chamois cream on his shorts (i was pit crew and reminded him to eat, drink, anc change his shorts. i also cooked, did bike work and preped his shorts for quick changes......being solo pit crew sucks!! ;)) that the cream practically oozed out the legs! :eek: in this case his shorts did not look greasy but instead had white-ish stuff coming through the lycra.

however, in normal amounts no one will ever know that you used chamois cream. well, except you and your butt.

rt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
teamdicky said:
and I use to race 24 hour solo races. I have had some doozie saddle sores. Best thing to do is go to the MD for antibiotics. Clears them up fast.
Stubborn? Don't like doctors?
Try sitting in a hot bath three times/15 minutes a day. It increases blood flow to the area and brings the infection to the surface. When it is white on top you can lance it with a pin. DO NOT SQUEEZE. It drives the infection deeper. Blot it with a cotton swab. Taking some time off the bike definitely helps. Saddle sores love hot moist chamois.
Topical antibiotics do nothing.
They always take days to heal if you do the right thing. Do nothing and they can last weeks and months. I have had some sores so long I forget what it is like not to have them.
I feel your pain.

Thanks man, went to doctor got myself some antibiotics and was amazed at how fast it went down/away. I owe you a beer.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top