Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why?
WHat ?

Why would you "upgrade" your seat post?

Save weight?
Switch from Alum to Carbon?
Color change?
Sadle position change?

Is there any "tech" upgrades when it comes to buying a post that I should look for?

Any reason to swap a post other than going dropper?

Curious is all..$$$ money for non-dropper post so just wondering if there is some "hidden" tech reason to "upgrade" ??

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well, I think the best reason to upgrade a seatpost would be to go from a one bolt to a two bolt, for more adjustment. Not for weight saving, it's about the last place you should look to save weight, you'll never feel it smack in the middle of your mass.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I wouldn't. The Kalin seat post that shipped with my Hardrock is one of three stock parts I still have. The other two are the seat post collar and probably a headset spacer. And the bolts for a rack and bottle cages, if you want to call those parts.

However, you did list some potential reasons to get a new post.

My two Konas shipped with Kona's house-brand two-bolt posts. I do like that design better. Not enough to change it on my other bikes, though. I don't monkey with my saddle position often, and there are enough little splines in a one-bolt interface for me to find an angle I'm happy with.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks. I have a stock two bolt post that I was just messing with. Going dropper seams to be the only "technical" upgrade from what I currently have so...

My current seatpost is HELLA long and MORE than 1/2 of it is allways down in my seat tube.
ANY reason why I shouldn't cut a few inches off to shorten it? If I cut it I can get more "down" for the downhill BOMB!!

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
Just take a look at the minimum insertion line on you post now, and if you cut, make sure to leave at least enough seatpost so at least that length will always remain inserted.

I don't there's much to be gained from seatpost upgrades, but I am a sucker for Thomson posts and if I need a post and find a good deal (usually used), I do it.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
A carbon post will ride a little better than aluminum, more compliance, but as stated the higher end posts will hold your seat more securely and provide more adjustability.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
I wouldn't mind upgrading to one that has marking on it since I will raise and lower it but for now just scratching it in places works.

But as mentioned, I think material has more to do with compliance rather than weight.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
A few inches? Nope.

When you pull your seat post out, look for the minimum insertion mark. You'll want to make a new one the same distance above wherever you make your cut.

I'd leave myself an extra inch in case I got a lower-profile saddle later.

Although really, this can be as little as a $15 part. Not exactly high-consequence if you find you need to replace it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts