Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon me for intruding, ladies...

My wife & I just bought mountain bikes with some of our wedding gift money. Took our first ride this weekend, about 16 miles of road & hardpack gravel. She wore some off-brand generic bike shorts but was still sore afterwards . She's riding a Giant Yukon which was not designed for women, so the saddle definitely has some room for improvement.

Any recommendations on a relatively inexpensive, but comfortable saddle? She's 5'9 and I'd say lighter than the average man that Giant figured would be riding this bike. She'll sometimes have riding shorts on, but not always. Thanks!

· Registered
154 Posts
dakboy said:
Pardon me for intruding, ladies...

My wife & I just bought mountain bikes with some of our wedding gift money. Took our first ride this weekend, about 16 miles of road & hardpack gravel. She wore some off-brand generic bike shorts but was still sore afterwards . She's riding a Giant Yukon which was not designed for women, so the saddle definitely has some room for improvement.

Any recommendations on a relatively inexpensive, but comfortable saddle? She's 5'9 and I'd say lighter than the average man that Giant figured would be riding this bike. She'll sometimes have riding shorts on, but not always. Thanks!
Check out the Specialized Dolce saddles. They're women's specific. My girlfriend finds it quite comfortable after several tries of different women's saddles. I've heard the Terry butterfly is also very popular, but it's quite expensive (70+). The Dolce I bought her was $40 at SuperGO.

Cheers

· Registered
655 Posts
Serfas has some nice saddles and they allow returns within a 2 week window if it does not work out(with no damage, of course). i use the mens DD Vado model, msrp is $50. i got mine on the 'net from REI since no one had it locally(even REI).

this saddle was NOT comfortable on the 1st 3-4 rides, now that it is broken in it is the best saddle i have ever used. Serfas has a website where you can look at their other models.

Rita

· internet axe murderer
219 Posts
Very true!

Impy said:
Keep in mind that ANY saddle is going to cause some soreness until someone is used to riding. Women's specific saddles won't "magically" eradicate all soreness.
I always have to break my butt in again at the start of the season. It takes several rides for me.

I like the Terry Butterfly a lot. Other Terry saddles have also worked fine for me, as well as a Selle Italia...can't remember the exact model. I always get saddles with the cut-out.

Btw, I can't think of a good reason not to always wear padded bike shorts for a ride, at least for any ride over 15 minutes.

Spike

· Registered
390 Posts
I am currently using a WTB pro gel saddle my boyfiend won from WTB's site. This replaces an almost new Terry Butterfly (while I had really high hopes for the cut out and low weight, the cut out started to really hurt after about 4 miles). That was retired after a Spec Body Geometry which was comfy enough by REALLY heavy. That replaced a Titec Ithys Amor which cause SERIOUS chafing problems. The WTB is working well, but it is pretty heavy. I am keeping my eye out for a lighter weight WTB saddle or body geometry on sale to replace it.

The point? Trial and error. I did not know about the 2 week return thing on Serfas. Might be worth looking into! If you are not concerned too much about weight, one of the gel saddles can work really well. I had a super gel serfas once on my commuter that didn't work on the trail (too wide to get back) but was so comfy I didn't even need bike shorts. I would recommend you avoid saddles with seams. That is what cause the problem for me with the Titec--it has a seem that runs right under my sit bone. The WTB has seems too, but they swerve around where my sit bone hits.

· Registered
51 Posts
I have the Ldy Selle Italia saddle on both of my bikes and I am finding this saddle is working out great...I had a softer saddles before this specific model and my sit bones would get really sore...This saddle also has a cut out that doesn't have the stitching at the edge of it...You have to be careful with stitching in your saddle and in your shorts. I would definitely recommend to wear riding shorts all of the time...just my opinion though...This saddle is pretty pricy though coming in at 110 bucks but well worth the money if you are comfortable... ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.