Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm 6'2" and 270lbs and spend quite a bit of time on a bike trainer at home during the week when I can't get to the trails. I've got Titec Berzerkers on both my bikes and love them for the trails, but on the trails I shift my weight, bounce around and stand up a lot. Sitting on those seats for an hour pedaling along on the trainer makes certain parts 'down there' numb. Even if I shift around a lot, it's still a problem. I tried the WTB seat off my wife's bike (not women specific) and that did nearly the same thing and also made part of the inside of my thigh go numb. It's about the same size as the Berzerker, but much flatter. I tried a Specialized body geometry seat and that didn't work. :madman: Any suggestions for what to do until it stays light long enough to get a ride in after work?

Edit: I've been reading a few more articles and have a theory. On the trail (even on the road) it feels like I have more resistance to pedaling than I do in the highest gear on the highest setting on the trainer (Minoura rim drive). I wonder if the trainer being too easy to pedal is causing me to put more of my weight on the seat than if I were riding a trail.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The trick is to find the right width saddle. My favorites are the WTB Power V and Laser V, which have some of the widest noses without having super-wide tails.

You can also try tilting the saddle if the bike isn't level on your trainer. And get used to taking more frequent saddle breaks.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
To jam on watermoccasin's reply:
I've found the power v to be the most comfortable (and durable) seat for me. Also, the position/angle of the seat on the post has had more to do with numbness/pain/comfort for me than the seat itself. Meaning, I've had to fiddle with seats to find the "perfect" (for me) tilt/etc for a seat before I liked it (it can be slightly different for each seat). Good luck. That's one area I'm not real cool with having numbness in...!

Brock...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.