Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to ride further and further and so that seat is becoming more of an attachment of my body if you know what I mean. Any recommendations for a new saddle that wont add too much weight but will easy the miles?

I know it is a personal thing for fit but I would like to hear some ideas before I drop a few hundred testing out diffrent seats. Thanks!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Agree: Fizik Nisene

I agree with JK. The Nisene is the best! Hands down the best saddle I've ever had. Nice cush (but not too much), flat, no big ass stitching to rub da rear raw. Not even sure of the weight, my ass is too happy to care. JM

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been resting the rear on a Koobi Xenon www.koobi.com for a couple of years after having gone through the grueling search for the perfect perch. The Xenon illiminated the numbness that I was getting from other saddles and has proven to be reliable on the long hauls as well as the XC courses. Heck, I put one on the road bike for those LSD rides and can't complain at all.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
My wife has settled in quite nicely on WTB's new Devo and Deva. So much so, that I've got a great thing going with a Deva on my XC bike also now.
She's got the Devo carbon which is 190g I think....my Deva has some extra gell and pushes 220g.

They are nice and flat, which keeps the junk awake, and the slight padding is in just the right spot.f

She's done a few long distance races, just finished Nationals at Dear Valley on it...her first geared race at 6+ hours...that'll test saddle for sure.

I did 48 miles and 4 hours on the Deva on Sat...and no numbness and no pain..love it!

Attachments

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Gosh dang it, tried to show a pic, but oh well.
I really dig my Tioga Spyder. I'll be doing my first hundie on it in two weeks. If all goes well, Trans Rockies on it in three. It flexes and feels like a hammock for my goodies.
iamge here:
http://teamdicky.blog.com/866332/

doh, pic works now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Good luck with WTB Rocket V and the Selle Italia high end XC without a cut-out. I think I like to WTB more,though.

TD- 1) That saddle is wrong. 2) That saddle is not right. 3) That saddle is against nature.

But those are just opinions. :D

I would be curious how it effects short longevity- I know when I've used saddles in the past with the Kevlar covers or lots of embroidery, my shorts wore out faster. Will this create the same kind of friction when you move around?
Curious minds want to know...
Mike

·
Registered
173 Posts
stand up

selle italia slr , yep that's the one for me .
I have ridden the flight tt in the past and found it to be a great saddle also and it even wears a bit better than the slr.
I guess that I should say I ride a single speed and spend about half the time out of the saddle so That must be factored in also.

Damn that tioga looks hot.
Dallas " gonna get killed at nationals " sigurdur

·
Registered
508 Posts
Dent said:
I've been resting the rear on a Koobi Xenon www.koobi.com for a couple of years after having gone through the grueling search for the perfect perch. The Xenon illiminated the numbness that I was getting from other saddles and has proven to be reliable on the long hauls as well as the XC courses. Heck, I put one on the road bike for those LSD rides and can't complain at all.
Here's a second vote for the Koobi. I run them on both my road and mtb bike. the model I have is the Enduro AU. I tried the Fi'zik Arione but it didn't work for me.

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Mike Brown said:
Good luck with WTB Rocket V and the Selle Italia high end XC without a cut-out. I think I like to WTB more,though.

TD- 1) That saddle is wrong. 2) That saddle is not right. 3) That saddle is against nature.

But those are just opinions. :D

I would be curious how it effects short longevity- I know when I've used saddles in the past with the Kevlar covers or lots of embroidery, my shorts wore out faster. Will this create the same kind of friction when you move around?
Curious minds want to know...
Mike
The edges are quite smooth actually. I was suprised at how much this saddle conforms to my ummmm, parts that need to be conformed to. I slide all over the saddle effortlessly. I have had the kevlar lycra grabbers before, and it is nothing like that. We'll see in the coming weeks.

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
Retro dude here

Love the brooks...

I just go Cammdo with my shorts and I can go all day on my brooks! I love them they do take a bit of mantance though...

Next choice would be Fizik though......

WTB just doesn't work with my butt....

Just my .02 from a 25 year old just knows a little bit

·
Registered
408 Posts
saddles

been testing a few lately - I am sticking with Flite Genuine Gel

Comparison saddles -

Fizik Arione - great support but too wide for me, the edges hit my thighs and leave them looking like ground meat.

Arione Tri - for some reason feels narrower than standard Arione, works ok for me, soft nose a plus for steep ups when I am on the rivet

Specialized Alius 130 mm - great "focus" of weigh support on the sit bones, feels very "open" around the thighs, definitely takes weight off perineum (sp?) but the 2 spots where your weight goes (the grey pads) are hard as a rock! I mean unbelievably hard and I have quite a few miles on my rear end.

Anyone want a deal on an almost new Arione or Alius shoot me an email...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Selle San Marco Concor Light

check it out. Excel Sports carries it.
used to be around $30, but now its $55. i'll still continue to use it. very nice firm padding. not squishy. for what its worth, i've read L. Armstrong uses this same saddle. however, they also say he uses the Dura-Ace SL pedals too, but those things are only mediocre. i use Time Impact pedals on the road bike & ATAC's on the 29'er.
Steve in TLH

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.